• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Scratch-built 1:35 Lighthouse Dio

Started by eTraxx, September 30, 2011, 06:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

W.P. Rayner

Ray Dunakin

Holy moly! That's some great modeling. I like the figures too, especially the little boy with the model airplane.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Where do these guys come from? Lordy Lord! -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on October 01, 2011, 01:06:53 AM
Where do these guys come from? Lordy Lord! -- Russ

Russ, I do not know where those people come from, but I know where they should go, and that is straight into the Modellers Annual!

There is so much to like with this lighthouse diorama.
The craftsmanship is excellent, and the joy of creating simply radiates out from everything. And the cost of this project must have been very modest. The price of each enjoyable modelling hour must have been negligible.
The subject is refreshingly non-violent. I love military modelling, but sometimes the focus on the tools of destruction gets a tad depressing.

This must be the best model lighthouse since Troels Kirk:

-Haavard
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Design-HSB

Thus, the standard for good modeling was set very high.
But that us should not stop them, not to try too.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

michael mott

QuoteWhere do these guys come from? Lordy Lord! -- Russ

People have been making "miniatures" of their surroundings as far back as we have been able to pick up crude bone tools, I think that it is genetic. It is refreshing to see models of such high calibre using simple inexpensive materials. Taking the time to set up and plan all the step by step sequences of the work is an art in itself. How often do we get caught up in the moment of working to achieve an effect or colour, then realize that we did not document the "15 or so steps" to get there!
I think that this model of the lighthouse is a testament to all the best qualities of why we take the time to do such work.

The builder makes it look so easy and that anyone can make such models if they are able to take the time to learn and follow his simple steps. But not many of us take the time to master each of those steps and string them all together, and in my humble opinion there is the difference between the superb model and a good one.

The picture posted by Hauk of the different lighthouse by Troels Kirk demonstrates the differences in understanding of the subject being modeled, I think that the water in Troels' model looks more convincing than that in the model by Jakob. Is that a fair comment one might ask? without seeing both side by side perhaps it is irrelevant.

Jakob's rocks looked more like rocks and less like plaster, to me, but again when considering the different types of rocks and weathering they might equally represent their source subject matter.

It is great that some model builders take the time to share and teach us how they achieve their results, and no matter how perfect the models are the builders will tell you that their next one will be better, because of what they learned doing the last one.

A funny thought just crossed my warped mind.

Imaging a concours car show where all the contestants are showing off all the polished chrome and spotless engines impeccably clean floor mats, twenty coats of hand rubbed lacquer mirror finish paint jobs on vintage and classic cars on one side of the parking lot or field.

And on the other rows of beat up bent and corroded oozing grease and oil faded paint work carefully cracked and bullet ridden windshields rust flaking off fenders and torn leather upholstery on all the 2010 2011 model cars..... ya know how hard is was to get the fenders looking like that.... I had to grind them with a 4 inch grinder for 2 hours then finish it up with a blow torch and concrete etch for three days to get that look!!

But I digress.

The Lighthouse model was worth the time to follow through the build, very inspirational, the attention to the details of the lenses was particularly well done, I also liked the slotted screws punched out of the sheet stock.

Michael     

Mr Potato Head

Wow just when you think you have seen everything! ? Troels Kirk backdrops and scenery are haunting! So dramatic, do you think he would like to visit Idaho for summer vacation and come paint my backdrops?  ::) ::) ;D
I'll have to ask him?
Thanks for posting these, very inspiring!
MPH
Today is the last day of Summer, Snow tonight in Boise ! eeeeak
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

nk

Thanks for posting the Ed. I was in all the way up until the picnic blanket...if only he had stopped before the picnic setting and the figures. The power of a lighthouse comes from the fact that it is a solitary figure on a rock, there is no need to have sub-plots and distractions.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Mr Potato Head

Hey it was family day at the lighthouse! ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

billmart

I've been browsing through the forums here and just stumbled across this thread.  OMG, the lighthouse dioramas by Jakub Skolil and Troels Kirk are utterly fantastic.  I am so impressed by the builders' skills in so many areas.  I'm still trying to become competent at weathering railroad models.  Wonderful stuff here.

Bill Martinsen