• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kingfisher a gaff rig pilot cutter

Started by michael mott, February 27, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael mott

Inspired by Doris, I thought I would have a go at making a small model boat out of card and paper. it is based on the M.A.P plans for Kingfisher. I redrew the lines to include a few more stations than the original model called for. I am also making it about half the size. Just to get my feet wet. This is going to be a steep learning curve, so bear with me on this one. I have  hunch that I will be making a few (lot) of mistakes along the way.

Here is the progress so far.

cereal boxes and Matt board.

Its a start. I had to sharpen the blade a lot just about after every section that was cut.

Michael

finescalerr

I, for one, am delighted to "bear with you". Please keep taking and posting progress photos. I have a good feeling about your project. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Wow. Very neat. Look forward to your progress. I am not familiar with the Kingfisher...do you have a photo of the ptototype?

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Marc,

Not familiar with Kingfisher but looking at the lines of Michael's model pretty sure it is based on a Bristol gaff rigged Pilot cutter, if so plenty of info on line, an example ;-

Quick blurb  http://www.headline.org.uk/index.php?page=bc-pilot-cutters

Worth reading up on as they were some of the finest and fastest sailing craft ever developed ( they certainly were not "designed")

Michael, with your standard of skill and workmanship this will be a joy to watch ............ if it is based on  Bristol Cutter and you need any info let me know, have one or two books on them  ;)

Gordon

michael mott

Thanks Russ,
Marc, Gordon is correct it is based on the Bristol Gaff rigged pilot cutter, I have wanted to build one since I was a boy and saw a model that was about 4 feet long at the round pond in Kensington gardens.

I built this sailboat in 1970 based on the sail plan of the gaff cutter rig, it was a tub and didn't sail upwind worth a damn but it was a lot of fun and taught me a lot. everything from sewing dacron to making fittings. I sold it in 1980. I was just letting down the jibs as the picture was taken I don't have any others, the hull was based on the Pelican by Captain William Short, it is a one design that is raced in the San Fransisco bay area. I had hair in those days!

Back to Kingfisher, I purchased the plans in 1972 or there about, on a trip to the UK. I would like to make a larger model but first I need to learn.

Gordon thanks for the offer I will let you know, I do have Longridge,s book on building the model of Victory and also Underhill's "masting and rigging" and "The Gaff Rig" by John Leather.

Michael

Belg

Looking forward to seeing this come together please post as many sbs shots as possible. Thanks Pat

michael mott

Well today I discovered why boats are not built on their sides! My original game-plan was deeply flawed.

Went back to square one, and cut out a new keel plan.

Then I did a bit of reorganizing of the lines into a set of stations that were then printed out on a sheet of letter sized paper, these were then used, after cutting them out with a pair of scissors as templates for card.

I started with station 6 don't ask why I just did.
I also made a quick stand so that I could add each section with the model upright.

After a bit of time the hull was starting to take some shape, I decided to then finish off the bow then the stern

so all the stations are now glued in place I used lepages carpenters glue using a toothpick to spread the glue.

A shot from the bow

and a final one from the stern.

Next the real test begins with the planking "God help me!"

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Now you're talkin'!

The hull planking may be a challenge since, as I understand it, each hull plank is a different shape. If you figure out how to do it, please explain.

Russ

Andi Little

Oh my giddy Aunt! ................. I could so easily get seduced by something like this. I have a weakness for boats and things maritime as it is [Lived aboard for seven or eight years].
I've knocked out a couple of kits and one large timber model. But I've been hankering to get involved with a small sail boat in 1/24,Gn15,1mm=1" scale.

Something very similar to this .............

I've pinched this image from one of Doris's pages I'm sure?

Here's a link to the page ................... http://www.papirove-modely.cz/galerie/thumbs.php?show=3640 as there are some excellent work in progress pic's of filling and planking the hull. I've always been indidimated by the big maritime museum models and much prefer the more intimate "In the hand" kind of model. Gordon even forwarded a couple of drawings but nothing I felt confident enough to work with though. Anyone aware of anything like a small Broads style half decker drawing/plan?

Great start of course and I'll be keeping a keen eye on your progress.

Cheers bloke!
KBO..................... Andi.

marc_reusser

Ahhh...just lovely......I love a nice rib model of a hull.  Makes me want to drag out my old set of ships-curves, and snuggle up to them.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

granitechops

Quote from: michael mott on February 28, 2012, 06:24:32 PM
Well today I discovered why boats are not built on their sides! My original game-plan was deeply flawed.

Went back to square one, and cut out a new keel plan.

Michael
Michael, following this thread with interest, but do tell, what was the problem? was it a construction dfifficulty or was it that it left the interior  non open with that central fin?
Don in sunny Devon, England

Gordon Ferguson

You don't hang around Michael do when you have an idea..... lovely work

Probably teaching Granny to suck eggs here but you're going to have to be very careful when you start planking not to end up with a very wavy keel. Normally you would fit doublers either side of the keel, these doublers are slightly smaller than then the keel so that you end up with a step to lay the garboard plank on. Appreciate that you know you are going to have to plank either side of keel alternatively ..... I would suggest that you prepare both planks first so that you can glue in place almost simultaneously to minimise the twisting effect on the hull/keel.

Again being very helpful after the event  ??? but sometimes it is easier to to increase the depth of the keel , gives you a solid base to clamp the Hull with when you are working on the topsides, then cut this part off towards the end of the build .

A thought, it might be worth fitting some insulation foam, the white beaded stuff between your formers would help stiffen and strengthen  the keel and give a base to fit the planking on  ................. of course you will fitting the planking with the correctly scaled trenails, with the plank scarfing at the regulation 3 plank distance  ;)
Gordon

michael mott

QuoteYou don't hang around Michael do when you have an idea..... lovely work

Probably teaching Granny to suck eggs here but you're going to have to be very careful when you start planking not to end up with a very wavy keel. Normally you would fit doublers either side of the keel, these doublers are slightly smaller than then the keel so that you end up with a step to lay the garboard plank on. Appreciate that you know you are going to have to plank either side of keel alternatively ..... I would suggest that you prepare both planks first so that you can glue in place almost simultaneously to minimise the twisting effect on the hull/keel.

Again being very helpful after the event  Huh but sometimes it is easier to to increase the depth of the keel , gives you a solid base to clamp the Hull with when you are working on the topsides, then cut this part off towards the end of the build .

Gordon,
Starting something is the easy part, it's the finishing that seems to be the problem with many of the projects that I do, I suppose that is why I barrel on while the idea is fresh, before I run out of steam.
Like I said at the beginning this is going to be a steep learning curve :-[
I missed the extra keel thing entirely.
I am planning on adding more card spacers between the ribs to add strength and stiffness. Perhaps I will add some extra keel on at the same time.

Granite,
Quotewas it that it left the interior  non open with that central fin?
Yes the interior needed to be hollowed for the cabin, also the single sheets slotted onto the keel are a stronger method. I also think that there is some legitimacy to following even somewhat loosely the full size practice of working up the whole frames sections in pairs feel more shipshape somehow.

Marc,
There is definitely something seductive about the lines that are mostly only clearly visible at this stage.

Andi,
A small model in hand as you say certainly has a special charm about it. I have Donald McNarry's "Ship Models In Miniature." Where he shows full sized sailing ships that are fully framed and not more that 6 inches long.
So I will be looking for your start on a similar small craft then....? You need to help your aunt sit down.

Russ,
Yes I will explain, My understanding is that card templates have been used to determine the shape on full sized small craft, so I will likely be using stiff paper, maybe cover stock.

Ray,
Glad you are following along.

cheers Michael

michael mott

The spacers were cut ready to glue in, I cut these long so that they could be cut in half, cereal box card.

In retrospect I would have been better off building this little boat upside down.

Now gluing up some longitudinal stringers, I have tacked these in a few spots to see how this will work. fortunately this is a fairly simple hull.

When these first spots are set I will move the blocks and tack some more ribs.

Yes this is definitely going to get more difficult, I can see this.

Michael