• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Peter, please finish the project. If you need help, just ask. Many of us do that. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on February 05, 2024, 03:55:14 AMYour approach (a mixture of brass and 3d parts) is very impressing and I must confess, it is very inspiring too !!!
So today I reopened the cartons with the parts at least. ::)  I hope I will be able to recover this project one day. If so, your work here would have been the key input.

I really hope you will restart your project!

If there is something I can do to help, please let me know.

And as Russ wrote, I am sure that there are others that would love to help out.

But of couse there WILL be setbacks. I had one myself as late as yesterday. On the last traction motor, the only thin remaining was cleaning up one of the holes for the wires. Using a 0,5mm drill bit, I was painfully aware that there was a real danger of breaking the drill. And of course that was what happened. I tried to get a grip on it with a pair of pliers, but could not get a grip. I then drilled three holes in a triangle around the brass tubing with the broke bit. This way I got the broken bit out. With a 3mm drill I was able to make a clean, round hole that could be plugged with a bit of 2mm styrene rod. The rod was a bit tight, so I had the brilliant idea that I could HAMMER it into place. Yeah, I know... This was the result:

IMG_3423.jpeg

It's the sort of fiasco that almost make me want to give up modeling.

Fortunately, my friendly 3D print provider had included a set of spare parts, so after a short modeling session tonight I had a complete set of motors.

So don't give up! Dive into those boxes and get going. And again, do not hesitate to ask for help.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Lawrence@NZFinescale

So, so familiar!

Sorry to see your disasters, but reassuring to know it isn't only me.

To your point about help, I'm quite happy to help people with printing, casting and etching if needed.

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Hauk

Quote from: Lawrence@NZFinescale on February 05, 2024, 01:18:51 PMSo, so familiar!

Sorry to see your disasters, but reassuring to know it isn't only me.

To your point about help, I'm quite happy to help people with printing, casting and etching if needed.

I think it is important to show every now and then that modeling ain't always smooth sailing! There are lessons to be learned, and comfort to be found in the fact that we all mess things up occasionally.

Most of the time it works out in the end.

image0.jpeg

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

Yes, I know that too. But giving up is never an option. This truck is getting better and better!

Bernhard