• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

How Many Of Us Are Working On A Project?

Started by finescalerr, February 04, 2023, 12:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

It has been dead here for about two weeks. Oddly, I've been working on a massive project for nearly three months now. It's a an HO scale model of the Southern Pacific Type 22 depot at Goleta, California. I had photographed the structure in 1991 and knew the siding width is 8 inches. My old pal, Doug Heitkamp, found three or four common standard dimensions to help me solve a few problems and, after a month and a half, I had produced what seems an accurate 1:1 scale plan.

Another friend and former contributor to my publications, Ed Morris, has been creating digital composite photos of HO scale SP models over shots of actual locations and wanted me to make him a depot kit. All my SP models are HO scale, too, and a 1:48 model would be nearly three feet long so I decided to create a pair of HO kits. I have spent the last month and a half determining theoretical window mullion and other critical component sizes, doing many laser test cuts to identify problems, and then drawing and redrawing laser plans for those tiny HO scale parts.

I held off mentioning any of this because all I have to show are a dozen CAD drawings and one photo of a test mockup. But since none of you has posted anything recently ....

Below are part of a colorized version of the HO scale drawing I used as the basis for many laser cut components and also a photo of a test build of the freight end wall. The freight platform will fill the confusingly blank area between the ground and the trim.

That's why I've been quiet. Has anyone else been busy?

Russ

Barney

Well Im trying - mainly to finish stuff I started ages ago - The saw mill project is on hold for a bit and have gone back to some 1/35th SMALL MODULES
its the only way I will finish anything now days This is an addition for "Nobby Clarks" tat yard ( see Nobby Clarks Emporium )
I do think this forum helps others and myself if comments are made eg - How did you do that what did you use and so on - it certainly needs that sort of encouragement - (I don't even mind that's a load of rubbish if you say why ! ) as long as it is Constructional criticism it helps us all to continue I know times are bad for us all at the moment world wide - But putting the odd little "lets call it article" on the forum is worth a lot to us all
A few shots of what Im up to at the moment a small repair shed- On a 16in x 8in base  Will start a proper article  Very soon !! 

shots 1-2 the base roughed out - The start of a battery box loco will be derelict at the end of the rail
3 the main building started
4 a battery box waiting for detail a small generator and hinges for shutters and doors for the paint shop
Barney 
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Russ forgot to say very nice neat CAD drawings
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Russ, the CAD drawings and test build look great!

Barney, nice start on the module. About the white tubes under the track -- are those going to be pipes of some sort?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Ray the plastic tubes the large  one is a drain pipe from the upper ground and the thinner one will be for an electric supply for the workshop
the pipes will be a galvanised finish and partially buried in the ground work
Barney   
Stuart McPherson

Peter_T1958

Hi, Russ ! Nice clean work so far. I also didn't want to bore you , so I lurked in the background.

Quote from: finescalerr on February 04, 2023, 12:29:53 PMI held off mentioning any of this because all I have to show are a dozen CAD drawings and one photo of a test mockup.

Although I have been very busy too, all I could contribute were some CAD updates. The vehicle has been redone in most parts and is virtually finished. But so far no printed parts, therefore no progress on my modelling desk that would be of interest  :-\

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

Bill Gill

Russ, I'm still looking in. Have two projects waiting for stuff before can go back to work on them.

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Been struggling with the disparity between the theory of acrylic paint being resistant to enamel thinner and the reality :-(
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Krusty

For real fun, try artists' odourless thinner on ALPS decals that someone coated with Floquil matt varnish. "Oh bother" I said, or something along those lines.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Bernhard

I have been working on the construction of a Hulett Ore Unloader for months.  The first parts for the 1:32 scale model have also been made. I will soon report about this project here in the forum.

0000_Seite_1.jpg
0000_Seite_2.jpg 

Bernhard

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Krusty on February 06, 2023, 11:20:23 PMFor real fun, try artists' odourless thinner on ALPS decals that someone coated with Floquil matt varnish. "Oh bother" I said, or something along those lines.

You know the feeling then...

I popped down the road to the local PPG agent yesterday and got some clear lacquer.  They wanted to sell me a litre minimum, but when I told them why I wanted it they GAVE me around 200ml.  I'm using auto lacquer for most top-coating anyway so this should give me a really robust finish and seal in the decals well.  First test seemed fine, so fingers crossed.

If you need those ALPS decals replaced I'm doing a batch of proper (1200dpi CMYK+white) full colour decals soon so drop me an email.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Bernhard on February 07, 2023, 05:28:56 AMI have been working on the construction of a Hulett Ore Unloader for months.  The first parts for the 1:32 scale model have also been made. I will soon report about this project here in the forum.

Strictly speaking, all what I am doing right now is peanuts in comparison to your project... :o
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

That Hulett drawing is very impressive. Still, our forum isn't a contest ... so what are you working on, Peter? -- Russ