• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

There's nothing more beautiful than a large structure with accurate framing.
The best part is that correct scale framing is just as strong as - or stronger than - the real thing.
Very nice work, Jacq.

Did you cut your own wood?
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

jacq01

Ken,

no,  I am not cutting my own wood. With the help of some design information on timber constructions and scantlings given in some books, I worked out the sizes and ordered sufficient material in the US as here in Europe scale size lumber is not available. Only the cherry wood and pear wood strips I bought from a german fellow, but these offers are very rare, with some variation in width,  thickness size is very constant. Well suited for board and batten constructions.

Jerry,

for the windows I send Tom Fitzgerald at Crystal River Model Works a mail, but had no answer yet.
  Before I knew this adres to make windows, I ordered/received some windows in carton from Rustystumps.
  I modified them to suit the skylight size and thos are the ones shown in the photo's.  I am waiting for the glass
  so I can finish the windows. 
  I still like to get Crystal River windows as there are more buildings to go.

Busy with the corrugated sheeting.  Cutting 26" boards  :P :P  demands concentration.
  Initially I wanted to make the corrugation myself, but the amount and quality needed turned out to much  :( :(
  From one of Chuck's projects, the name Builders in scale/CCCrow turned up as supplier of quality corrugated material in  various sheet lengths.  The ordered parts are in and 2 packets of 10'0" sheets are processed already. Very good stuff.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

jacq01

Some quick progress shots.

All corrugated sheets are cut.   pffffffffffffffffffffff........
  one covered roofside has been primered and waits for final weathering.

Templates for all board and battens sides are ready.

Worked slowed down due to 30° C temperatures. Now at 23.30h it is still 27° C ...

Next week I hope to have the roof covered and walls ready.  ;D ;D

Jacq

I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Looking great!  That stuff is a a pain in the rear to cut without warping or damaging it.

Sheesh...30-degrees....that's nothing..thats a pleasant day...it was that warm here today....on Sunday it's supposed to get around 36 here. ;) ..and I'll be out on the bike....as they say "Mad dogs and Englishmen stay in the noon-day sun....." ;D ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

QuoteSheesh...30-degrees....that's nothing..thats a pleasant day...it was that warm here today

with 95% humidity ??? 
    It feels similar like Singapore.   :P :P
    When living in South Australia, yes 30° C was fine and in the summer some weeks 40° C plus was normal but with a very low humidity level. HOT but bearable. the worst I encountered was 115° F with a heat wave lasting a week.
    Adelaide is much like LA , ringed by hills/mountains and the sea and under special conditions the brown smog, that remains hanging over the city not able to lift itself over the hills.

the cutting of the corrugated sheets was not too bad, with a sharp break off blade and very light cuts, there was little distortion,  even when shortening or cutting an angled piece off.  The BIS/CCCrow stuff is some of the best I have worked with. In H0 with the thin material used, commercially and home made, I fully agree with you.
   It cost a lot of cutting blades, when a uneven resistance occurs, it is time to break off a part to get a new sharp one. 
   I used 2 complete refill blades to do the lot. 

I am what I remember.

chester

I too like the CC Crow offering in corrugated tin. How did you fasten them down Jacq?

jacq01

Chester,

the sheating is glued down on small purlins with ACC gel.   This fills some gaps and gives time to adjust the sheet to the correct position.
   These  purlins are spaced pending the length of the sheet with a max of 2'6". 
   The flashing is made from heavy houshold alum. foil. 

Jacq 

I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Jacq

This is getting better with every step forward.  Just looking forward to ever new post.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Frederic Testard

I am extremely impressed by the precision of all your frame work, Jacq, and the way the assembled building looks. You're on the way to perfection (and then the next project will be a real problem :) ).
Frederic Testard

jacq01

Frederic, 

to stay focussed and motivated, the mind must be able to wander and find other challenges to compensate for the handwork being done.  The next project slowly is taking shape with 2 subjects having the most of my attention.

One is to built an 1:87 copy of the old Baltschieder viaduct including the famous Victoria Head tunnel of the BLS in Switzerland.
  The other is a diorama based on a painting the Erftmühle by Achenbacher, a 19th century german painter.

These are at the present mind games, challenging the pencil and paper to form sets of 2D sketches.

Of course the sawmill diorama is still mentally unfinished, otherwise it is going to be a boring 20 months before it will be finished. The main framework is however ready and is as clear as a photo in my mind.

Btw. will you be in Sedan 10/11 October ? 

Jacq
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Jacq ,

Don't you think you are setting your sights a bit low by planning on constructing something as "run of the mill" as that building in the painting ? After all , a chap with your abilities should be looking to do something much more complicated ! Ha , ha , I was only joking . The mill looks quite complicated enough .
   Actually , I think the paint is stunning , especially the way that the light is concentrated onto the mill itself .These are the sort of paintings I like best as they are a window into a way of life that has long since gone , and very often the only thing that remains are the buildings themselves ( usually in a very altered state).
  I look forward to seeing how you get on with this project .

What scale will you be building the mill in ?

Nick ( in the UK )

shropshire lad

Jacq ,

Would I be right in thinking that the painting is by Andreas Achenbach rather than his brother Oswald ?

Does this question make me sound intellegent and that I have an indepth knowledge of the subject ?  Oh good , that is the image I'm trying to put across !

Nick

marc_reusser

Quote from: shropshire lad on June 28, 2009, 12:15:15 AM

Actually , I think the paint is stunning , especially the way that the light is concentrated onto the mill itself .These are the sort of paintings I like best as they are a window into a way of life that has long since gone , and very often the only thing that remains are the buildings themselves ( usually in a very altered state).

Nick ( in the UK )

....ah an early forerunner of Thomas "The Painter of Light" Kinckaid.  [:-P

Marc [Holding down the vomit from just thinking of Kinckaid]
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Nick

QuoteWould I be right in thinking that the painting is by Andreas Achenbach rather than his brother Oswald ?

Does this question make me sound intellegent and that I have an indepth knowledge of the subject ?  Oh good , that is the image I'm trying to put across !

Yes it is by Andreas A.  Seen your replies here on the forum, I don't think your ability to sound intelligent is being questioned.  If it realy is having the sought effect, I don't know, ...it takes time to consult some forum members............... :D :D

Marc,   
  sjeees.......................you know when to put up some incredible reference material.  My whole breakfast is spoiled.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

Frederic Testard

Marc, your comment about the vomit made me search who "The painter of light" is, and what I found was indeed perfectly disgusting. But it seems that justice has started to break up this "ideal empire"... Good news.

Jacq, your answer prompted me to launch another topic on a totally non railroad subject, that I have had in my mind for a long time now, and for which I think the help of this great group of modellers could be extremely important, since some of the techniques involved in my project are totally unknown to me. This subject will be in perfect accordance to Marc's recommendation in Ken Hamilton's thread : "I hope you will post your projects here regardless of if they are RR". The name in French is "La Pagode des Brumes", the best english translation I could find is "The Misty Pagoda". Soon I'll post a new topic on this subject.

Your Achenbacher inspired subject sounds very exciting. It is sufficiently different from the sawmill to avoid the problem of still improving after reaching perfection.

EDIT : I forgot to answer the question about Sedan. No, I won't, it's very far from La Rochelle. Any chance to meet you at Railexpo, in Paris, around the end of November?
Frederic Testard