• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Brass parts or plating in very small quantities here in Europe is beyond my modeling budget. 
  It is costing to much time to find someone to do what I want and if found, the costs are too high or the environmental legistation makes it a bureaucratic nightmare.   
  As I like to finish the mill in a forseeable time, I started looking for some alternatives and found some stainless precision tube from 1/8" to 1/4".   

Marc started a topic Spawling concrete. This brought up my following question:

Is it in logging machine- and workshops common practice to provide concrete footings for machinery and even complete floors?  I am planning to make the foundations of the mill and part of the floor in concrete, including the boiler- and engine house. Also the planned machine foundations in machine shop and engine house.

Detail parts for trimmer saw, slab saw, edger are ready. 
To prevent damages to the assemblies, I had te rebuilt some parts of the resaw, I don't built them up till just before placing them in the mill.

The groundfloor question has been a brake on the progress for some time. To finish the mill I have to start now on the ground floor before I continue with the output side. 
Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

A mill of your size likely used conrete for support column bases (Footings) and some of the hheavier equipment. Boilers could have been left exposed or enclosed in brick masonry.....the first would though likely be mounted on conc. or brick stem walls/supports over a concrete pad, the latter would have concrete footings....though in logging there seems to be no definite.

What follows are some images I had on hand that show mills either under construction or after a fire.

Note the boilers supprted on the framing in this one. Likely they will at some point be encased in brick masonry.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Note the concrete slabs in various locations.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Note the encased boilers....looks like either brick or stone.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Note the concrete.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Just for fun, compare the above images to the Power generating room at The Great Souther Lumber Company.....which was immensly advanced.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

While going through the images I ran across this one....no foundations or concrete...but thought you might be interested in the framing.

M

M-Works

jacq01

I am what I remember.

jacq01

while waiting for material to arrive to finish the rolls, I wondered about the assembly sequence of the building to facilitate building up all machinery on the 3 floors, lighting, maintenance and repairs.

Marc, thanks for the construction details. I have used a lot of details hen doing the posts today.

Here the first trial of the posts of the sawfloor. A number of posts will have locating pins/holes corresponding with the matching floorbeams. When all is to my satisfaction, the corner posts will be fixed to the floor.
The sides visible by the public will remain open, the far side will be board and battens.

I noticed in the book They felled the redwoods tha the Hume mill's roof was planked prior to fitting the corrugated sheets. Photo's from other mill's, p.e. Pino Grande, do show the corrugation direct on the purlins.  The Sanger mill had tar paper.

I intend to put  corrugated sheets on but wonder what was common practice around 1900 - 1910 ?

Jacq

I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Jacq,

That's looking great. Sure will be big when done!

I think the sheating is going to be a pure 'your choice issue".  Note in the last image above, that the roofing was applied overwhat appears to be solid sheathing. Also note the vertical strips where ther is no roofing material...I can't rell if these are over sheathing, or are being used to hold down a layer of building paper (for added waterproofing).

I think it came down to a couple of basic factors; cost, builders preference, and structural need/benefit, quality of construction/intended longevity of the mill.

On the Hume Mill, the sheathing was possibly deemed necessary as part of the structural aspect.....snow load, and maybe for some added insulation value.....it could also have been simply to provide a "shear plenum". .....or maybe simply because they wanted to.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Jacq,

Not re foundations...but some good sawmill pics from the OSU collection.  Above the image on the left, click on "All Sizes" and you will get some really nice large high resolution versions. There are numerous mill interior shots in this sub-collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/osucommons/3465958177/in/set-72157617101514941/

You might also want to look through the entire collection.....there are more than 24 pages of images (pages listed at bottom)....and there seems to be plenty of logging stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/osucommons/

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

Thanks Marc,

not only the logging/sawmill pictures are interesting.  The fishing at Celilo Falls is spectacular.  Pity that such traditions are so easily sacrificed to satisfy urban demands. 

Studying photo's for foundations and structures, I noticed following.
   There appear t be two ways to install the steam engines for the sawmill machinery.
   mills like Hume-Bennet, Pino Grande ( and I assume more)  have the steam engines in seperate engine houses next to the boiler house and mills like the Hull-Oakes, where the engine(s) are on the ground floor of the mill with the boiler house, as most, seperate from the mill.

I assume that there is no clear rule here, as in most other items discussed.

An innovative and diverse engineering approachis still visible, not governed by too many rules like in the large european countries like Prussia and Austria-Hungaria of the early 20th century. When did the state and federal legalilation, like OSHA, came into effect ? 

Jacq
I am what I remember.

jacq01

a day without anybody around...... :D
  Nothing interfering............... a bundle of scale lumber, 

made the first rooftrusses.  All are loosely sitting on the posts.. :o :o like a card house.
  All timbers were handcut, than angles and lengths marked on all pieces and sanded exact to size on my disk sander.

Truss nearest is one of the side walls of the filers room.
I don't know or I'll support the floorbeams with a beam under it and posts like on the photo or make it a small truss.
Floor area is critical in front of the re-saw.

Building from ground floor to top of roof will be approx 14" high , 300 mm (12") as comparisson.

tomorrow another day like today  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jacq

PS
  for the windows in the filers room and skylights I have a choice between  lasercut and styrene windows.
  As I have no experience with lasercut parts, besides the circular saws I received from Brett.  The Grandtline
  windows I know, only the choice is limited to mostly double hung.  Any recommendations ??

Jacq

I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

With styrene windows, you will be heavily limited by to what the Mfr's make.

My suggestion would be laser cut from Strathmore (especially if they will revcieve paint) , to your drawings/specs (that way you can have whatever look your heart desires. I would NOT do laser cut wood, besides the ubiqutous wood grain direction issue, I have yet to see any done with the correct muntin sizes (probably due to laser burn...or the mfrs inability to understand period window construction).  Try contacting Tom Fitzgerald at Crystal River Model Works for the laser cutting....tell him Russ sent you.  ;)

You can stain, color the strathmore, and then probably try adding wood grain by dry brushing.

With your skills tough you could build your own from wood or styrene.....though I generally have issues regarding the juality of joints and seams when building them in this scale...the joints are hard to conceal or get to scale, in O and HO so they generally always detract from the overall appearance......especially with as many as you will be needing.

Marc

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Jacq, just in case you haven't seen it, I think you might be interested in this thread on Railroad-Line, about the still operating Sturgeon sawmill.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26053
Marc, the links you posted are a gold mine of magnificent pictures (even a non-modeller will find there a ton of great shots). Thanks for sharing.
Frederic Testard