• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Going to Rotterdam -things to see?

Started by Hauk, September 04, 2023, 06:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

I´m going to Rotterdam for a weekend trip this month, and I wonder if any of the good people on the forum has suggestions for model-related things to see.

Any good technical museums, shops or Industrial ruins?
Exibitions?

Feel free to suggest things not related to modelling as well!

-Haavard
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Les Tindall

A "must do" is the narrow gauge line Katwijk-Leiden. They have a good web site, you'll need a taxi from Leiden station. Was there this weekend. It's a huge collection of narrow gauge steam and diesels, but also an interesting excavating machine (full of rust). They run steam and diesels at weekends around a lake. The museum there has a number of model dioramas.I found lots of inspiration.
Les Tindall

shropshire lad

Quote from: Les Tindall on September 04, 2023, 12:40:16 PMA "must do" is the narrow gauge line Katwijk-Leiden. They have a good web site, you'll need a taxi from Leiden station. Was there this weekend. It's a huge collection of narrow gauge steam and diesels, but also an interesting excavating machine (full of rust). They run steam and diesels at weekends around a lake. The museum there has a number of model dioramas.I found lots of inspiration.
Les Tindall

Got any photos ? Or are you saving them for the Narrow Gauge News ?

Les Tindall

The website is www.stoomtreinkatwijkleiden.nl     It lists all their stock along with photos and history.  The "excavator thingy" is (I think) a ladder excavator used to scoop up soil.  Photos attached
Les Tindall

Les Tindall

Les Tindall

And for Nick......

Les Tindall

A loco at the Katwijk Leiden railway that might interest you guys "over the pond" is this 700mm gauge Whitcomb of 1944.
Les Tindall

shropshire lad

Quote from: Les Tindall on September 05, 2023, 01:02:54 AMThe website is www.stoomtreinkatwijkleiden.nl     It lists all their stock along with photos and history.  The "excavator thingy" is (I think) a ladder excavator used to scoop up soil.  Photos attached
Les Tindall

I love those machines , known as " Eimer kettenbaggers" in German . I really fancy one in 1/35th scale .

Les Tindall

They've certainly got character, lots of interesting gears, chains, pulleys and general ironwork to model, and that lovely rust finish! I'm very tempted to model one. I've got some more detail photos if you want Nick.
Les

finescalerr

Les Tindall

Sorry Russ, getting carried away with the Eimer "thingy"!
Les

shropshire lad

Les,

I have been collecting photos of these machines for some time , but very few are close ups . So feel free to post the close ups . I can say with a fair degree of certainty that I shall not get around to building one , but if you get the urge to build one in 1/35th (or , let's face it , any scale) you can rest assured that it will be well looked after at my house !

On a side note , I attended the Shrewsbury Steam Rally last week with my Series One Land Rover and amongst all the monster traction engines I came across this little beauty. I feel sure someone here might find of sufficient interest to make a model of it .

Sorry , not very relevant to the original question .

Bernhard

QuoteI love those machines , known as " Eimer kettenbaggers" in German . I really fancy one in 1/35th scale .

Nick, see here: https://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3015.0

I have about 270 photos of the prototype and of course the construction plans for the model.

Bernhard

Les Tindall

Thanks Bernhard, that's some very useful info.
Les

shropshire lad

Quote from: Bernhard on September 05, 2023, 01:49:33 PM
QuoteI love those machines , known as " Eimer kettenbaggers" in German . I really fancy one in 1/35th scale .

Nick, see here: https://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3015.0

I have about 270 photos of the prototype and of course the construction plans for the model.

Thanks Bernhard. I remember your build and I had already passed on the link to Les. He is much more likely to build one than I am .

Did you ever build a Diorama to put it on ?

Bernhard