• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Scatchbuilding machinery

Started by pwranta193, March 02, 2011, 07:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Emery

At the National Narrow Gauge Convention last month, I got to visit the museum in Denton NC and spent most of my time marveling at the complete belt-driven machine shop.  While there I shot a bunch of videos with my iPhone (my main camera's battery died, that's another story...), in part with the idea of extracting machine shop sounds to play beneath my (long planned but no further :-) machine shop/roundhouse.    These are all large (Apple QuickTime) files, so please don't try to download all of them at once, so you don't clog up my home business internet connection...   http://www.earlyrail.org/NNGC/Videos/

dave

eTraxx

David. Thanks .. those are some great videos. I'm downloading to my HD so I can have them on-hand for a weathering and color resource.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

pwranta193

David - great stuff... how cool would it be to have a scale op that worked?
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Mr scratchmod

I've book marked this thread and go back to it daily for inspiration. Gonna have to put machinery on the to do list. What fantastic scratch work. :o

Rob

rowley

Thanks for sharing the videos with us. Takes me back to the time when I started my apprenticeship in a local engineering factory (1954-1959) when about half of the machines were still run off an overhead lineshaft.

Rowley

pwranta193

So, after a long winter, many lessons from the casting crew, and a steep learning curve on setting up an E-Biz, we have a first look at the completed drill press.  I ended up assembling it at the kitchen counter as my shop space has been given over to one of my teenage daughters (returned to it's original purpose as a bedroom), which will be best for everyone  ;D - some remodeling will hopefully get me out of the kitchen soon.

I put down the base coats, and turned it over to Rick Lawler for some weathering and photos and here is the initial shot.  This is built with only the resin kit components, a styrene rod for the elevation gear, and two most excellent plaques from Vector Cut (Go Dave!).  I've not included any cable line or tubing at this point (i.e. solder), thinking that I will leave it up to the builder to add.  Hans Frei got packed away somewhere, so we can't show scale (you'll have to go farther back in this string to see the size, and more photos to follow), but this is almost 4 meters tall in 1:35th.  We'll dig out figures in 1:35th and 1:32 this week to provide some scale perspective.

Getting here is based on inspiration from many on this site, and if you had told me a year ago I'd be making scale machinery, I'd have thought you were delving into the medicinal tequila a little early in the day.  A huge thanks to all of you with input, ideas, leading the way and especially to Cristophe and his deep seated industrial madness.  I've included some of the early base images of the plans - which are now waiting on corrections, photos and text.

Ideas, criticisms and brick throwing welcome!
Paul

Malachi Constant

Quote from: pwranta193 on March 01, 2012, 11:13:41 AM
Ideas, criticisms and brick throwing welcome!

Congrats!  Will study, ponder and critique later ... meanwhile, here's the result of some brick throwing for you!  ;D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Nice! Great to see you expanding the line..

My only question would be, why not do the assembly drawings in 3D/perspective views? Would make things so much clearer/easier to see the intent. Would probably be pretty much a snap to do in a very basic program like SU.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

pwranta193

Thanks gents!  Dallas - you need a set of interchangeable eyes for Mr. Mudgeon (like Mr. Potato Head) to express his various moods... I see that the brothers of the girl in the Traveler's wagon have finally caught up with him.  Those vacation indiscretions have a habit of catching up with one... oh, and your package went out to today (finally).

Thanks Ray - BTW, I'm still digging on your tile roof work from the Hotel.  I tried something similar years ago for 1:35th scale Italian farm house, but for an entire roof.  Needless to say it is in the bottom of a box somewhere.

Marc-san... I went with the 2D on this, due to time constraints.  I can do Visio in my sleep, but burned up an entire day trying to learn the basics of one of the 3D freewares  ::).  Attempting the four legged chair with a back tutorial almost cost me the vision in one eye, a trip to and in house de-tox program and brought on the urge to take up golfing as a reasonable past time.  Fortunately, my country club application was rejected and I'm back at styrene  ;D  I'm going to try to have a little more prowess by the time the next project hits the resin works, as it won't lend itself well to 2D instructions.   
Paul

pwranta193

First order went out yesterday  ;D

Okay - some other angles and a little more box art work... I'm a little rusty with posting pics, and struggling with trying to stay within the 200K mark on pics.  We dropped in a dude for scale - still looking for just the right guy.  The second pic shows the need for for cable and hose detail to make this all come together in my opinion... but I'm hoping guys will customize them.  On to the next thing  ;D ;D ;D

Paul

finescalerr

lab-dad

Awesome!
Especially in 1/35th!
I have begun my drill press in 1/16 and it is tough.
Hope you sell a lot!
Marty

marc_reusser

Beautiful. Now get casting so we can order one!
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

pwranta193

Thanks all - knowing what I do know I'm tempted to go back and make a new "camel back" drill press in 1:16th, but I don't see much of a demand in that scale (frankly, I really like the scale, but as you know, you run out of display room at the end of your first project).  Maybe in 1:35th...

Russ: I'm hoping to be successful enough in the resin market to both buy vineyard property and advertise in the annual  :o

Marc: And here you go:  ;D  8)  ::)

http://www.bigredcollective.com/Accessories/35-accessories/radial-drill-press-factory-35-large-size

Sorry - the website is still a little clunky, but I'm learning one late night bottle at a time.  Seriously, the hardest part has been figuring out the shipping rules and regulations to anyone outside of the US - Fortunately Rick is just across the river for the panic calls.  I'm still exploring how to ship the Corduroy Road, as it requires the flat rate medium box  :'(  (and talk about expensive!!!).

If anyone has problems with the site -let me know!!!
Paul