• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

In-ko-pah RR: Dos Manos depot

Started by Ray Dunakin, May 20, 2015, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sami

Ray Dunakin

Thanks!

I wanted to have stone stairs going up the slope to the shack. To do this, I made a form out of foam core board:

Then I used curved tweezers to place small stones in the form, added some 1/4" hardware cloth, and then poured in some thin mortar:

The mortar wasn't quite thin enough to get into all the spaces between the stones, but that's fixable:

I rubbed thin mortar into the gaps, brushed off the excess with a wet brush, and after it set I sanded off some of the residue and it turned out fine:

Here's how everything looks so far. The building itself is almost finished. I just have to add the lighting and a few other minor exterior details. I also have to finish the landscape around the building. And later I will build and detail the interior:

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

Ray as any Southerner knows, the shack isn't finished until the Coca Cola thermometer is mounted on the wall under the porch.

Ray Dunakin

Yep, that's one of the minor details yet to be added.

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

Ditto.

Ray, you really ought to build a Super Dome over the layout to protect all your artistry from global warming.

Russ

Bill Gill

Ray, you really stepped up to the plate with this build, sandwiching it in neatly between the track and mountain. Looks fantastic!

Ray Dunakin

Thanks! Here's a new pic...

A passenger train goes by Serenity's Sandwich Shack in the town of Grandt Cliff. High above is the Cliffside Mine:

Ray Dunakin's World

Allan G

Love the way you did the stairs!!!! Everything looks awesome! Allan

Ray Dunakin

I just got started again on the depot, but don't have anything to show yet. In the meantime...

Here are a couple small projects I worked on recently. First was making a big batch of new ocotillos to expand the foliage on the layout. I start with florist's wire, which has a green plastic coating on it. I use a couple different thicknesses, either individually, or mixed, depending on the size of the plant I want to model:

The next step is painting them with gesso. That's the stuff they use to prime artist's canvases. While the gesso is wet, I sprinkle on some fine grain sand available from the craft store. This goes on mainly at the lower end, to thicken the branches near the base. Then they're hung on a wire to dry:

Next I paint them with a coat of grayish-brown latex house paint. While the paint is wet I sprinkle on some green plastic grit from Plastruct, catalog #GC-104. It is then hung up to dry again:

I've found that the green grit fades, so the next step is to dry-brush on a bit of green latex paint:

To finish it off, I cut off the hook used to hang them. Then I paint some of the tips with red latex paint to represent the flowers. Finally the whole thing is given a couple coats of Krylon UV-resistant matte clear. Here are a couple photos of the plants installed on the layout:

The other little project was a test piece. I wanted to see if I could use Sintra to make a stone wall that matches the pinkish rocks on part of my layout. (I'm not sure but I think they may be rhyolite.) Here is a photo of the rocks on the layout, followed by a photo of the test piece:

I think it still needs a little work but it's getting there.

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Hydrostat

Hi, Ray,

to me the stone wall coloring looks spot on, assuming there's some conjunctive weathering to come. But: The sandy texture looks a bit artificial at most stones, like something being added. Maybe you could use some very fine dust in addition to blend this to the complete stone? I don't know.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

lab-dad

Very cool - all of it!

I agree with Volker.
What about mixing the texture in the paint?

-Marty

detail_stymied

"welcome to Grandt Cliff" - good one!
s.e. charles

Allan G

Ray; looks great! I think the wall should have a bit more deep tone in the cement. More like the upper right area of the wall.  Allan