• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

2 Foot gauge tractor loco in 1/16th scale

Started by Chuck Doan, March 02, 2015, 06:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Wow. That's convincing. Do I get it right that seam diameter is approximately tubing diameter or a bit less?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Wow, guess that's why they'll call it "JB Weld(ing seam)" from now on.

Peter_T1958

Simply unbelievable! For years the military modeller branch is discussing HOW to do realistic weld seams. And you are simply going to your work bench and are doing the most finest welds I've ever seen...
Knocked out!

Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Franck Tavernier

Hi Chuck,

Awesome work, and a breathtaking realism! What type of JB Weld did you use? The steel reinforced expoy?

Franck

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

fspg2

It is not for nothing that Chuck is one of the best modellers in the world :)
Frithjof

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much! It's pretty rare that something works without a lot more testing.

Here is the weld as it looks when first brushed on with a 5/0 brush. Plenty of time now to go run errands or what not.

This is the product. It is the original JB Weld, not the Quick Weld.

The tube I used for the tool was .046 inch diameter. The weld seam was about .03 inch wide.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

I thought this was kinda neat. The front of the Fordson tractor on my locomotive mounts to the frame using a modified dropped front axle. I needed something strong to support the heavy die-cast tractor, so I had a brass part "printed" by Shapeways. What they actually do is print a wax master from my model file, and then use that to make a lost wax casting. Cost about an hour of my computer time and 17 bucks. Not bad for a one-off custom brass casting. It has some minor layer lines that I will remove and then I will have my first structurally useful printed part!

In the meantime, I have been bogged down adding approx. 40 nuts and bolts to each frame side. Very boring, but I am almost ready to glue the frame together (it is just taped together for the pictures).

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Yes, and wonderful, too. How will you remove the layer lines -- by sandblasting, filing, some kind of sandpaper, or what? -- Russ

Design-HSB

Hi Chuck,

as always great as you build your models.

I found myself just once more the thread unfortunately seen by no detailed information about the roller chain, since the dimensions and the source would interest me closer again.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

That brass casting looks good (and almost as strong as the toothpick posted previously). I'm curious too how you will clean it up.
Just to be clear about the cost - the computer time was yours? and the $17 covered the wax master and the lost wax casting by Shapeways? That sounds like a good deal.

TRAINS1941

Wow that is unbelievable.  Your work is just beautiful.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Russ, I have already cleaned most of it; I used sandpaper and files. The lines are very shallow, but it does take a bit more effort than the FUD material .

Helmut, the chain is made by Kyosho for radio controlled motorcycles. It is 3mm pitch. I bought it on Amazon.

Bill, the 17 dollars is the cost from Shapeways less shipping. I think a very good deal for a single custom part. And they do it all, and the part is delivered in a little velvet pouch. I don't know what my computer time costs. I could never have fabricated a part for that cost, and it would not look as good.

Thanks Ray and Jerry!

Allan G

Chuck; how do you attach the front dropped axle to the frame?.....Allan