• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Not actually a Union Gas Engine !!

Started by Barney, January 25, 2024, 08:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

After reading and not "just looking at the pictures"of the Yellow Aster Gold Mine in the Narrow gauge & Industrial Review NO' 132 came across a UNION GAS ENGINE critter an unusual bit of kit with a fly-wheel up front the size of a dust bin lid ( or perhaps a bit bigger ) and with a large water tank at the rear and "the radiator flat on the roof " how on earth it worked I just can not figure it out - but they had a couple of the little beast ! 
My version in 1/16th scale on a 1ft 10in gauge track (32mm gauge ) not looking any thing like the prototype it will have a 3 cylinder diesel engine a copy of a Fairbanks Morse EARLY marine engine -
Wheels are from the Slater's Range or Narrow gauge (16mm scale) - every thing else my usual mix of Evergreen strips and sections - Plastic card skinned LEGO blocks
1st shot the basic frame and the chain covers with a small differential casing
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Brake shoes are from Cambrian range of castings
The coupler pocket a bit of a "mistake" a Rough 3D print Took a lot of cleaning up using a Dremel with a ball end and bounced all over to give it a Cast iron look  -  Seemed like a good idea at the time But will not use that company again
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Side Detail with pocks front and rear fitted
Started the engine build just a small collection of the parts
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

As you noticed, the printed coupler pockets fail to equal the quality of your own work. You managed to salvage a decent result. -- Russ

Bernhard

Looks like a lot of fun again. I can't wait to see the result!

Bernhard

Barney

By permission of the KERN COUNTY MUSEUM  a photo of the original UNION GAS ENGINE NO 1 and one of the original motor units
the original name being the"Regan vapour engine co " a 2 cylinder  4 stroke engine
Another Gas engined was from a Cadillac - the two union loco's were abandoned at the mine one buried and the other left underground
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Engine bits fitted but all trial fit - Hence wobble flywheel and other fittings
Barney

Engine 3 cylinder Marine  Diesel  - on the pattern of a Fairbanks Morse early type
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Hauk

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

1-32

All good Barney it is going to be a stunning model.
cheers Kim

Ray Dunakin

Very interesting prototype, and a great build so far!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Barney on January 25, 2024, 02:32:23 PMBy permission of the KERN COUNTY MUSEUM  a photo of the original UNION GAS ENGINE NO 1...

Hard to tell from such a small photo, especially at that angle, but it looks like the engine in the first image might be similar to this one:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/imagedetail.aspx?id=6479

Or maybe not...I just found a side view of the Yellow Aster Mine loco #1 on this site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pacificng/posts/2242445432554269/

They say it had a 15 hp double cylinder Union Gas engine of the 1905 type.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Thanks Ray That must be one of the original mining critters - and That SVRR ARCIVE has loads of unusual shots
My version is now going through a much needed engine change after finding a few more versions which I think must have been a more reliable version the engine now is a 3 cylinder Petrol - Paraffin ( Gas - Kerosene ) starts on petrol until warm then switched over to Kerosene as used on many tractors of that era - Photos soon of the conversion but continuing with the frame and bodywork
now a fully open version
Barney   
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Engine now modified to Petrol  / paraffin (more like tractors of the era)
and body panels now in place
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Small Petrol side tank with lube' tank and main paraffin (kerosene ) tank constructed
Components of the radiator ready for assembly flat sheet with 40 thou rods added - Then for front of rad a brass overlay Rear tool box with missing lid ! it fell off at  some point of its life
Barney
Stuart McPherson