• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Shasta Pacific outdoor railroad

Started by NORCALLOGGER, August 24, 2023, 06:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all, I have been a member here for many years but hardly ever post because my style/type of modeling hardly fits in with the superb fine detail modeling generally presented here.

However in a recent email exchange with Russ he suggested that the members here might be interested in my efforts at modeling. so we will post a little background info and follow with some clips and build details and see how the interest holds up.

I model a fictional short line RR, the Shasta Pacific, and a logging line the South Fork Timber Company in 1:20.3 scale, outdoors. Not a typical "Garden Railroad" it is all built on benchwork at table top height and no gardening involved.

All locomotives are onboard battery with RC and sound and all switches are manual ground throw because you walk along with your train during switching operations.

I did post a short video of a train at the mill last Spring see here:

https://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3285.0

Here is another, a little longer on the other side of the mill complex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaO7YJtW_EI&ab_channel=ShastaPacificGardenRailroad

Hopefully these links are hot, if not go to my YouTube channel and check out my vast collection of videos, all 3 of them :)
Ups, look here   https://www.youtube.com/@Tinbender

If there is an interest I will post pictures from a few builds I have done for this project over the years.

Thanks for taking a look
Rick

Stuart

Sure, as for myself I would enjoy seeing more of your outdoor railroad empire. I particularly like the natural lighting of your scenes.  It seems that the bench top height of your railroad provides easier access to photography and video making.

Les Tindall

That's some pretty good stuff. Missed it first time around, thanks for the new posting. Don't worry, it's inspirational, we all need an input and great thanks for yours. Lots of crane/derricks which I'm working on at the moment so it's been a real help.
Les Tindall

finescalerr

Post some photos, too. I think everybody will be interested. -- Russ

Barney

Hi Mr Norcalloger - Now come on you do some wonderful inspirational work and we want more with plenty of updates on projects
Please more
Barney 

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

NORCALLOGGER

Did this work
Well it seemed to, at least I got this picture to post, I about gave up in frustration trying to get an image to post.

finescalerr

I wrote a sticky about how to post photos when we changed the forum software. If you need it in the future to remind yourself what you did, go here: . Scroll down to December 21, 2022 and you'll see it. But your photo looks fine and clicking on it brings up a larger image. -- Russ

NORCALLOGGER

Thanks Russ.
How do you insert more than one picture per post and what is the maximum or ideal picture size?

finescalerr

When you add a photo, the forum software tells you how large it is and how many megabytes remain in that post. Add those two numbers together for the maximum photo size. There is no ideal size and I have found it possible to limit a photo to around 250-300 kilobytes at about 100 dpi and about 7" width yet it will look very good. Anything larger may not make much difference but might let you get away with less editing hassle before you upload your photos. -- Russ

NORCALLOGGER

This little railcar has been on my someday list for a very long time. It ran on rails that later became the Arcata and Mad River Railroad in far Northern California. What made it unique in this part of the world is that it ran on a track gauge of 45 inches.

Building it for my railroad I had to reduce the gauge to 36 inches which created a problem with the wheel and axel placement as you can see. It is a static model built to 1:20.3 scale for display on my outdoor railroad. Remember it is built for outdoor display so the detail etc. is not as fine as you are use to on this forum.
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Perfectly acceptable for this forum and quite satisfactory. -- Russ

Barney

A nice little machine and a nicely  built model
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

NORCALLOGGER

finescalerr

That could almost pass for 1:1 scale. Nice video.

And, yes, it has been dismally quiet here for the past week or so.

Russ