• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Modellers At Work / Re: Not actually a Union Gas E...
Last post by finescalerr - Today at 12:20:45 AM
That little contraption looks extremely adequate, especially when you click on the photos and to them full size. The model's progress is acceptable. -- Russ
Last post by shropshire lad - April 29, 2024, 03:02:38 PM
Another cracking job done and a fine looking loco . I look forward to seeing it in the flesh in a couple of weeks time .

Nick
Last post by Barney - April 29, 2024, 01:47:27 PM
And forgot the tools for he box and some rail and scenery should give it a bit of life 
Barney
Last post by Barney - April 29, 2024, 01:42:43 PM
large tank across the bulk head for Paraffin as we call it - Kerosine for people across the puddle
tank on side rear for Petrol ( for starting ) and lube oil
jobs to do more weathering oil leaks and rust but not to much as she is "loved "
Barney
Last post by Barney - April 29, 2024, 01:36:30 PM
Throttle / speed control still to do  along with choke control and fuel lines
Last post by Barney - April 29, 2024, 01:34:04 PM
Slow going at the moment and still lots to do - due to some 1/35th stuff but all went wrong !!!
yes its GREEN  but if its good enough for Mr Bond it will pass for me
Military Modeling / Re: Another Artillery Tractor
Last post by Lawrence@NZFinescale - April 29, 2024, 01:05:10 PM
Quote from: Peter_T1958 on April 29, 2024, 11:44:51 AM... how many parts have been broken due to the very brittle resin and had to be replaced with plastic parts. In many cases I have to add tiny parts made of brass, as only soldering allowed sufficient stability (i.e. etched chains).

Looking good.

Mixed media is the way to go in my view.  No one material or method has all of the answers.  Manufacturer's will generally try to use fewest materials on economic grounds of course.

Resins are not created equal either.  If you have the option, there are resins that will be less brittle and produce more robust parts.  There may be a trade off in print speed, cost or some other print parameter though.
Last post by finescalerr - April 29, 2024, 12:04:06 PM
Even at this stage we can tell it will be a terrific model. -- Russ
Last post by Peter_T1958 - April 29, 2024, 11:44:51 AM
Hi gents
In the course of discussions my two projects are now totally jumbled up. So I will move along this thread, as both vehicles are essentially military tractors.

While the « Dürkopp » is en route to the customers, I am still struggling with my first own kit, the «Büssing».
The following pictures show how many parts have been broken due to the very brittle resin and had to be repaced with plastic parts. In many cases I have to add tiny parts made of brass, as only soldering allowed sufficient stability (i.e. etched chains).
And yes, even for myself progress is very slow. I managed to build the mounting brackets of the ventilator only after five unsuccesful attempts or in other words: after two weeks...

Just one small personal remark yet. As for all my works there is a weird thing - I have to vistie the place where the origin had been photographed. Some might
consider it a quirk, but form e it is essential to see the area where all that happened. So as it happened, on the way  to the Netherlands last week, my family and I passed the small village «Oberkail» where the photo was taken in 1919  ::)

Dioramas / Re: Chamonix Mont-Blanc
Last post by finescalerr - April 25, 2024, 12:09:19 AM
I agree. -- Russ