• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

WWI Air Corps Gunnery Trainer

Started by marc_reusser, August 21, 2012, 10:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

This is the kit I will be using....or at least 4cm of it.  It is a beautiful kit; doing what I am to it is tantamount to heresy.....but I just cant get rid of this monkey on my back.

....and so it begins.

Marc

(No worries Gordon...the roller is still on the bench.  I am simply multi-tasking. ;D )
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

I really don't know what is worse, the fact that you are resurrecting old projects ...... that I remember this the first time around probably means I have been here too long ....... it creates a very bad example to those of us who like starting but never finishing

Or

the concept of you "multi-tasking" ........... next you will want to start getting in touch with your feminine side, posting sweet little comments , etc etc.

p.s. you might find this useful www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page25.html, and this for ideas on interior finishing www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page36.html ......... bracing wires, turnbuckles ...............

Gordon

shropshire lad

Don't let Bernard see you butcher one of Wingnut Wings fine creations , it is sagrilege of the highest order . Why couldn't you use a model from a lesser manufacturer ?

Looking forward , as usual , to seeing this one finished ,

Nick

marc_reusser

Quote from: shropshire lad on August 22, 2012, 12:25:59 AM
Don't let Bernard see you butcher one of Wingnut Wings fine creations , it is sagrilege of the highest order . Why couldn't you use a model from a lesser manufacturer ?

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately no other mfr. (that I could find) makes this particular fuselage part, nor the proper MG. The guilt is ovewhelming.  But I am working on drowning it in Scotch, and the smell of liquid cement.

How long can it possibly take, to build a 4cm long model!?

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: gfadvance on August 21, 2012, 11:30:01 PM
I really don't know what is worse, the fact that you are resurrecting old projects ...... that I remember this the first time around probably means I have been here too long ....... it creates a very bad example to those of us who like starting but never finishing

Or

the concept of you "multi-tasking" ........... next you will want to start getting in touch with your feminine side, posting sweet little comments , etc etc.

p.s. you might find this useful www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page25.html, and this for ideas on interior finishing www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page36.html ......... bracing wires, turnbuckles ...............

HA!...thanks for the laugh. I truly needed that.

I thought that I had posted/started a thread on this here, somewhere, before, but for the world of me I couldn't find it. I thought I was losing my marbles. (so I gave up searching, and dealt with trying to pick what few marbles I had left off the floor).

Thanks for those links. Splendid

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Gordon

marc_reusser

Thanks Gordon...much appreciated.

Might as well let the cat out of the bag.....here is what it will eventually become:

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Well, somebody has to ask ... what GAUGE is it?  -- Anonymous  ;D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

I think they shipped that to Coney Island after the war. Cyclone shooter, something like that. Or maybe the Kaiser Roll
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on August 22, 2012, 03:19:31 AM
Thanks Gordon...much appreciated.

Might as well let the cat out of the bag.....here is what it will eventually become:

Battery/electric powered ? I look forward to seeing it whizzing around your layout that you are going to build especially for it . Is the machine gun going to work ?

TRAINS1941

How long can it possibly take, to build a 4cm long model!?

[/quote]

Okay how long does it take?????

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

BKLN

This is by far one of the most amazing ways to combine all different disciples of modeling into one project:
Railroad, aircraft and military. Now if the target would show a naval vessel you'd kill em' all in one strike.

Very nice!

Mr Potato Head

You cut up a wingnuts kit :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? ???
really ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
those kits are works of art,..................................
the horrorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

narrowgauger

Marc ............................................... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it has taken me days to dry my tear stained keyboard.  This is truly sacrilege warranting a full year banishment to the corner (rather surprised that uncle Russ hasn't imposed some form of fine).

all this is made even worse by the fact that you would have found the same components in a kit less deserving a full build from Rhoden or Eduard (check out the Eduard "weekenders" at $12 a pop.

however having said all that you have partially redeemed yourself by treating us to such a wonderful prototype.  let me know if you need a running chassis for it.

above all have fun & stay cool
Bernard

marc_reusser

So sorry for the anguish Bernard,.............unfortunately modelbuilding requires us all to suffer and sacrafice a bit. ;)

You are correct, a Roden kit would have been the better route for this especially given the cost of the WN kit....BUT.....at the time WN, was the onhly company on the market, that I was aware of (as well as others that helped me with finding the kit), that manufactured a Lewis gun of any decent quality. Now WN seems to ffer the Lewis gun sprue as a seperate purchase/item....so this sprue and the Roden would likely have been a great combo...however, at the time I was shopping for, and ordered the kit, that seperate sprue did not seem to be available.

The upper curvature/lines of the RE8 fuselage shape is not exactly the same as the ones in the piece in the image, but I am OK with that. I am fine building a model that is "plasuibly" close to the image (as I lack any other hard information on the unit)....and would actually like to get it completed in a reasonable time-frame.  ;D

Running chassis!??...you very funy man!.....(though if I did suddenly lose my senses, I think I have a Black Beetle mech somewhere that would likely fit in the box.)

Marc

M-Works