• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/87 Waterfront Diorama

Started by Carl_B, September 14, 2016, 04:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl_B

Hello everyone,
I recently finished this dio of a kit bash I did on an old Sheepscot HO scale kit. I enjoy water scenes and have built several others.
Comments welcome.
Carl

NORCALLOGGER

Hey thanks for posting picts of your Dio and welcome to the forum.
I love the outdoor setting of your pictures.
The one thing  that jars my eye is the minimal amount of timbering under that steel tank
that I presume holds some form of liquid at about 8 lbs per gallon.

Very nice work, and again welcome, and thanks for the great picts of your work
Rick

finescalerr

Satisfactory. Charismatic. -- Russ

Design-HSB

Congratulations on a great model that was photographed skillfully. just ask why show the weather vanes in different directions or deceive me something?
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Carl_B

Thank you Rick, Russ and Helmut. Appreciate your comments.

Rick- The support framing under the fuel tank is supposed to be angled steel. It was supplied in the kit etched brass and soldered together. Agreed it is a bit thin.

Helmut- Thank you for noticing the weathervane issue. That was not intentional, I will repair.
Carl

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful modeling and photography, especially for such a small scale.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Carl_B

Carl

Carl_B

I also installed nearly 30 SMD Led lights. Taken indoors...
Carl

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Carl_B

Carl

NORCALLOGGER

Now those night shots are great.
Lighting makes all the difference, when bringing a scene to life.
Thanks for sharing.
Rick

Hydrostat

That's some very fine modeling - especially in H0 scale. And I agree: the night shots bring it to life, ever since. The only major giveaway are the ship's and derrick's ropes in the first both pictures, which to my eyes are a bit to thick and don't follow a natural pendulous habit. Which isn't easy to achieve, admittedly. What did you use for it? Maybe you could try lead wire which comes in diametres down to 0.2 mm or even less. Thanks for sharing!
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Carl_B

Thanks again Rick.

Thank you Volker.

The ropes are indeed a tad big and were common sewing thread. However, they were tight until I brought them outdoors for these photos. I live on the gulf coast of Florida and the humidity caused the sagging. As soon as I returned indoors, they became tight once again. >:(

For the derrick, I actually used brass wire.

Appreciate your input!
Carl

Allan G

Awesome photos. The lights are incredible.....Allan

Wesleybeks

Hi Carl

Love both the night and day shots. Hard to believe its HO scale.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa