• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New member, Hello. Merchants Row diorama

Started by jshack, September 26, 2015, 07:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshack

Hi everyone
Some progress pictures.
A little more work has been done. Scuppers and downspouts installed, I wound up mixing some colors together and was happy with the results.
Scuppers are cut from the head of a wire tie, downspouts are 18 gauge copper wire.
Service mast in position, not permanently attached yet. This was made from the tube that attaches to a carb cleaner can.

Jeff

michael mott

Hi Jeff
The downspouts look good, what I am wondering about is the darkened areas under the windows, what would cause those areas to be darkened in that way?

Michael

jshack

Michael,

Dark areas are supposed to be weathering from rain, dirt, and the elements. Maybe I need to tone it down a little. There is also some on the rest of the building, and on the road.
Trying to make it look like it's been around for some time, not brand new.
Thanks for the compliment on the downspouts.
Jeff

finescalerr

I guess I thought you still planned to paint and weather the structures. Apparently I was wrong so I would take Michael's thinking a step further: Before things move forward it might be good idea to find photos of buildings that look the way you want your models to look. Examine them carefully and try to reproduce their appearance in miniature. If you see subtle effects and have little or no idea how to reproduce them, ask the guys here. Everybody is willing to help. -- Russ

jshack

Russ,
Structure is painted, will need some touch up from handling during construction. I was modeling it after an actual building similar in size, style, and era. see attached.
Weathering may need to be toned down some.
Thanks for the tip.