• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New York Street Scene

Started by Joel Freedman, November 22, 2014, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Freedman

Here's the street with manhole covers, grates and the first couple of coats of paint/stain.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

Spent the day building up the first of the fire escape landings. All styrene and brass. So far so good. Just 5-6 more to go.

Joel Freedman

Ok let's file this one under stupid/crazy. I scaled down pictures of cigarette buts and sanded down the backs so they were transparent. Then I rolled them and glued them over .12" wire.

Way too much work for the effect. I did the same for a coke can which I like better.

The last picture shows just plain wire painted with white and medium flesh tones and I think I like these cigarettes best.

Ray Dunakin

Nice. It worked pretty well for the Coke can, but yeah painted wire is the better route for the cigs.

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I can't believe you are devoting considerable time and talent to creating detritus a janitor long ago should have swept away. Go stand in the corner. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Nice details! Maybe crazy, but not stupid.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Quote from: finescalerr on February 06, 2015, 12:23:29 AM
I can't believe you are devoting considerable time and talent to creating detritus a janitor long ago should have swept away. Go stand in the corner. -- Russ

Quote from: Chuck Doan on February 06, 2015, 07:44:50 PM
Nice details! Maybe crazy, but not stupid.

What he said .... and what he said .... you're certainly crazy ... but doing a great job of it!

Curiosity question:  What's the time-frame or intended era of the scene?  Cobblestones can suggest a long-past time ... but do survive in some places ... Coke can and cigarette butts with filters look modern ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Joel Freedman

Good question Malachi,
I think I'm aiming for late forties or so. I guess that does mean the coke can has to go. I really should try to be consistent. Thanks for pointing it out.

OK I'm waiting on those brick sheets so I think I'll move on to the second major storefront. I've decided to try and copy this faded/peeling store.

Ray Dunakin

What a great looking old relic of a building!

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

Finished up the landings for the fire escape. I like the interesting diagonal braces on the sides. I've never seen them before but they are prototypical.

Ray Dunakin

Nice work, on a complex piece.

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

Well I did a lot of work on the new storefront. I took all the measurements directly from the photo and built it totally from scrap wood except the decorative trim on top which is a casting for a dollhouse. The peeling paint is a mixture of dry brushing and the excellent Chuck Doan technique. The sign and newspapers are all downloaded from the net and printed onto actual newsprint.

Unfortunately when it was finished I put a figure next to it and the left hand door measures out at about 5' tall oops. I'll have to re work it a bit but it's a good start.

finescalerr

Don't rework it. Just add a sign that says "Midgets' Entrance". -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World