• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Mini steam Roller

Started by Barney, September 21, 2023, 08:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

After Nicks inspiring photos of the "Mini Steam beast" Thoughts for one in 1/35th scale started So whilst waiting for a few bits and pieces to arrive (that's my excuse)
I can understand why our "garden man" in 1933 built his own roller at around this time it appeared everything was big only some small versions existed but all being of the Internal combustion type and I think he must have been a Steam miniature enthusiast to have the knowledge to build the little beast !
So here's a start a 2 cylinder engine based on De Winton and a main frame following  our "Garden Mans" efforts 
Boiler is 20mm Acrylic rod making the boiler diameter 2ft 3in the main frame /engine just bits from the styrene scrap box and a few bits of Evergreen angle and Tube
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Now just in the trial fitting stage and still waiting for a delivery of Acrylic tube for the rollers and the plenty of detailing in the nuts /bolts and rivet  department
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

An adequate start. Now let's see how it develops. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Good start . I look forward to purchasing it from you in November !

Les Tindall

Barney, do you actually sleep? The number of models you build is incredible and your "bits and pieces" stock of parts must be huge. I'm just still plodding along with the sternwheeler workboat after two years or more building it.
Les

Barney

Sleep Les "not a lot" but thinking of other things ! But on the other hand what do I actually "finish" What with all my scale hopping  and changing things never seem to get any done

Shot of the scrap boxes all off cuts even some measuring 1/8th in  first draw strip and round /tube bits
next draw down Channel and angle - I use this selection now more than ever !

I have been told even Harry Potter sneaks in at night to make use of all the bits !! Perhaps that's why I don't sleep a lot waiting to catch the odd bod visiters !!!
Barney
3:30 asleep with one Eye open
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Is it possible you forgot to mention the bevy of beautiful girls in thong bikinis, each eager to cater to your every whim, who visit each night? -- Russ

Barney

Never give it a thought of such dreams I can only live in hope
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Start of the Water Tank - Lego blocks skinned with 10thou plastic card and rivets by Master Club
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Flywheel nearly there and some boiler fittings and pipes Thick copper pipe require nuts on ends But of course run out of nuts and now reordered ! 
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Tried using "ultra sticky tape on pipe ends but it don't work looks untidy and comes undone - so I think its back to some tin foil or thin lead
and try again
Stuart McPherson

Barney

BIG Close up of "ultra sticky tape"  coming Undone !!!!!
Why don't I stick to what I know works I suppose there is no answer to that !!
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Experimenting with new ideas is acceptable. Failing to repair or replace poor results is unacceptable. You experimented but must replace disappointing results. Acceptable. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Barney on September 25, 2023, 05:17:08 AMTried using "ultra sticky tape on pipe ends but it don't work looks untidy and comes undone - so I think its back to some tin foil or thin lead
and try again
Not sure if it would help your situation but I've used tissue paper (the hardish protective stuff, not facial). Fixed with dilute white glue or acrylic varnish.  Goes nice and hard and permanent once set.  Not hard to use.  I tend to moisten the target and add the paper dry.  As it wets it conforms very readily (and you can do the job in this state if concerned - adding varnish only when happy). It's quick, so any less than ideal bits are just discarded and the process repeated.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Barney

Well I think I will give it a go with the tissue paper idea - Thanks for that
Barney
Stuart McPherson