• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

'41 Chevy Pickup, scale 1:25

Started by JohnTolcher, December 03, 2013, 04:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandre

Saw this evolve past weeks.
Really glad to see and read more details here.
The finish is truly superb. Really inspirational.
That may be my favorite work of you.
Bravo John.

Franck Tavernier

Amazing job John!

Pigments provide a definite plus, to rust texture effect, here's the proof!

Thank you for sharing!

Franck

kathymillatt

Gordon

The Royal Mail will not deliver solvents. You have to use a courier.

I've bought some cellulose thinners from Halfords a while ago and will try those to see if they work.

Kathy

Gordon Ferguson

Kathy, you are correct re Royal Mail, but !

Sent you a message , hopefully providing a better explanation .

Really not sure about the cellulose thinners , suggest you don't try it thro' your airbrush think you may end with a major strip down and clean up operation :-\
Gordon

JohnTolcher

Thanks again for the great feedback everyone.

Chuck, I would be honoured!

Hi Kathy, I hope you can source a good thinner, I find nothing works better with Tamiya paints than their Lacquer Thinner for achieving a really smooth finish when airbrushing. They have another thinner that comes in the ordinary paint bottles, X-20A. Or some modelers just use water, I have trouble with it myself. But I'm guessing Tamiya paints thinned with other compatible thinners would behave in a similar way with the windex. Best to do a test to be sure, as always.

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

Barney

John -What a lovely paint job - nice and not over done just like the old car that used to live at the bottom of my garden
Kathy looked at the contents of Mr muscle glass cleaner looks the same and at £1.99  its worth a try !

Hosted on Fotki
Barney

narrowgauger

Exceptional John, no other words for it.

BernardS

JohnTolcher

Barny, Bernard, many thanks for your feedback.

Regarding the difficulties getting hold of Tamiya Lacquer Thinner in the UK, I happened to have a bottle of Gunze Mr Color Thinner. To me it smells very similar so I gave it a trial, mixing with Tamiya paint in the same way as I used Tamiya Lacquer Thinner, and doing a little bit of windex wear on the finished paint. It appeared to behave in exactly the same way, and is apparently available in the UK:
http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/mr-hobby-110ml-mr-color-thinner-110-t102.html

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia