• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

photography to bring out more detail.

Started by 1-32, April 22, 2019, 06:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

Hi Paul
Yes, you can see that my computer terminology is lacking but I try and learn quickly. I have a large photo library and it seems that Dropbox has trouble handling it.?
But no problem I have been introduced to We Transfer.
Very simple to use, your own photos are compatible no account is needed -free. Up to 1 GB which I think is huge, I think I can upload up to 70, 20 MB photos, it seems a bit slow but maybe they are all the same.?
Now to learn indoor lighting fo still-life detail objects, I like to be able to take photos whenever I like and dealing with the Australian level of UV is hard so the great indoors is right for me.That will be enough of all this I want to get back to modeling and use my new found skills in the presentation.
Cheers

WP Rayner

Quote from: 1-32 on May 06, 2019, 03:32:17 PM
Hi Paul
Yes, you can see that my computer terminology is lacking but I try and learn quickly. I have a large photo library and it seems that Dropbox has trouble handling it.?
But no problem I have been introduced to We Transfer.
Very simple to use, your own photos are compatible no account is needed -free. Up to 1 GB which I think is huge, I think I can upload up to 70, 20 MB photos, it seems a bit slow but maybe they are all the same.?
Now to learn indoor lighting fo still-life detail objects, I like to be able to take photos whenever I like and dealing with the Australian level of UV is hard so the great indoors is right for me.That will be enough of all this I want to get back to modeling and use my new found skills in the presentation.
Cheers

Hi Kim:

Excellent! I'm pleased you've found a solution that fills your needs and is easy and friendly to use. Nothing to be gained from making life more complicated than it already is... ;)

Cheers,
Paul
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Barney

Kim your photos are 100% better with a plain background !
Barney

1-32

Hi all.
I have just built a small lightbox from a cardboard box I found. there is a hole for the light 20 watts 6500 Kelvin on the top and a bit of card for the curved back the shots were taken at 100 iso, f 36 and 2.5 shutter speed. i tried taking them outside on my balcony but it was just too bright. The marker boy is part of another barge that I am looking forward to painting
cheers.

finescalerr

You're turning into a professional photographer. -- Russ

1-32

Thanks, Russ .
the top picture needs more work on the focus maybe this is to do with the depth of field and lighting the detail on some of the rivets are lost.
This is really bringing out a new level in modeling there is no escape it is all there to see.
It also brings out the possibilities of presentation with dioramas in boxes where you can introduce effects and the such around your models, I look forward to that.
cheers

Carlo

Kim and Russ,
I am a RANK amateur (emphasis on the RANK) at photography, and mostly just use my iPhone 6. I do have a macro lens for it, for extreme closeups.
Kim's light box looks so simple and easy. I'm wondering about using just 1 bulb overhead. I thought you needed at least 2 lights to eliminate shadows.
The photos, however, look great! What am I missing?  Do I need to be able to adjust t-stops, shutter times, etc.?  You can't do that on an iPhone, right?

Bottom Line... can I get acceptable photos from my phone?   How?
Confused Carlo

1-32

Hi Carlo.
I personally don't think you can get the effects you want with a cell phone.
unless you use photo editing software that Russ suggested.
my preference is to use a DSLR camera. I went and bought an entry-level camera second hand from a dealer. There are so many out there you know -go and buy a nice camera for the big adventure never use it and ends up in the bottom drawer as a reminder of lost chances. I don't use a fancy lens 50 mm and a cheap tripod yes Carlo I am cheap. Also, are doing a photography course from the local community college you need this as the options on modern DSLR cameras are staggering a lot of buttons have multi-functions. I don't understand a lot of photo editing so I try and keep it inside the camera as much as possible.
with these new photos that I am posting, you can see how my light boxes are evolving, cardboard packing boxes with a single light source. With the cardboard, it is very easy to make new holes for cross lights as needed also the possibility of putting whole models into cheap light boxes is a real possibility.
anyway Cheers.

finescalerr

Carlo, I think you can probably shoot very good photos with your iPhone, a lot better than you might think. The trick is to use plenty of light. If you're interested enough to build a light box, copy Kim's, mount your phone on a tripod (they make inexpensive clamps for that), set your iPhone to use a two or three second delay, and shoot the picture. Let me know if you need more information. -- Russ

finescalerr

Carlo I snapped off a shot of my 1:48 paper boxcar as an example of what you can do with an iPhone, a tripod, and a table lamp or two. No tricks, just the cropped image. -- Russ

Carlo

Thanks, Russ
I'll give it a try, and let you see what I get.
Carlo