• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Very impressive, Volker. I find your research into the history of the buildings and the construction method very interesting.

Bernhard

Les Tindall

Incredible modelling, it really is impossible to tell what is actual size from the model. 
Les

Barney

The Book to have for all your construction methods - mine is the 1904 edition - there seems to be plenty of them out there (later editions as well) and at good prices mine was £6:00 through EBAY
And the best bit is it keeps  the Rivet counters and in this case the brick & mortar counters at bay !!
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Barney

Stuart McPherson

Lawton Maner

Rivet Counters hate it when you call their bluff and produce a text showing the correct way of doing something.  I am particular to the Architectural Graphics Standards books which are the final say on how to draw almost anything building related.  They are great references on parking lots, drainage, and the trivia of detailing the outside of the property.

Just build it and ignore the whiners.   

Hydrostat

To me it looks like there's something like a boiler with a manometer or thermometer in the left back corner. Obviously the tubs are filled with a warm or hot fluid. Any idea how a coke or oil heated boiler might have looked like in an industrial standard - especially if they just needed warm water, no steam/pressure?

Slg. Brockhaus Heuer GmbH

Any ideas about how the crane's lateral overhead wires might have crossed the sliding gates avoiding short circuits at closed gates? A trailing cable seems to make more sense in that case but never say never ...

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

nk

This is an AMAZING project Volker. I had never even thought about industrial pickling until I started looking your project. Seeing your model fills my nostrils with smells of brine and vinegar. It mst have been a big job keeping corrosion under control.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Hydrostat

Quote from: nk on December 18, 2020, 07:42:20 AM
This is an AMAZING project Volker. I had never even thought about industrial pickling until I started looking your project. Seeing your model fills my nostrils with smells of brine and vinegar. It mst have been a big job keeping corrosion under control.

To get that project pregnant with meaning: Doesn't a pickling shop represent our current caustic pandemic situation nearly perfectly?

On a serious note, i found an antiquarian book "Handbuch der Metallbeizerei" by Otto Vogel from 1943, which describes in detail how a pickling shop worked and how it was equipped. Needless to say that some older thoughts lead astray: I had painted the interior white, but found a paragraph about coloring a pickling shop's interior: a bright color, best yellow, but never white. So I had to repaint the walls.

Windows from lasered Cardstock are finished and ready to install; for the principle have a look here.

Outer frames of two windows are made from bass wood to have some variety in the building's condition.

Frithjof kindly milled the transom windows from brass as well as the screens from Vivak. After tinning and blackening the screens fit tight.

The book also gave some valuable hints for the boiler installation, given the necessary effort for constructing it I preferred to first make those pickling baskets from some brass tube and wood. At the prototype they were made from Monel metal.

A rudimentary jig served for bending, crimping and shortening the brass rods.

First beam hoist trolley parts arrived and soon lost their sheen.

I don't place value on having the crane working, but it should be movable at least to achieve different photographic capabilities later on. My friend Toni milled those bushings to mount the roller bearings.

Parts for pipework:

But - the boiler. Meh. With some pictures and very valuable information from a former boiler company I was able to start CAD work.  

This is what it looks like within the builduing later on.

I'm going to build it from brass parts, printed resin parts and brass and aluminum tubes. The manometer is a completely analogue fabrication.

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

Absolutely superb. That includes knowing what material to use for each part, what tool to use to create it, as well as overall craftsmanship, artistry, research, and appearance. Too bad the world isn't as perfect as Volker's model and many others we see on this forum. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi Volker .
great is that cracked glass in the steam gauge man I can smell the corrosion.
cheers

Design-HSB

Volker, If you take "Quiet earth" literally, the pressure gauge shouldn't actually indicate pressure, right?
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hydrostat

Quote from: 1-32 on February 12, 2021, 01:39:32 AM
Hi Volker .
great is that cracked glass in the steam gauge man I can smell the corrosion.
cheers

Yes, Kim, it is, but acrylic glass based. Meanwhile I did another one, Vivak based, because the print wasn't sharp enough. The latter unfortunately did not cracked during the process.

Quote from: Design-HSB on February 13, 2021, 12:31:42 AM
Volker, If you take "Quiet earth" literally, the pressure gauge shouldn't actually indicate pressure, right?

Why, Helmut? This rather adds to the forlomness of humans.