• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Red Star Cap

Started by marc_reusser, August 15, 2014, 01:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Yeah.....I don't even know where too begin to post this here...so..oh well...here it is.....

This was done as part of a quick challenge in an FB group "Post-Apocalyptic Modelling - Welcome To The Zone!"

The task was to take a simple plastic bottle cap, and make it look like a rusted old metal one.

I really had not time to do this..but it seemed fun, so I took 45 mins and gave it a shot.

First step was to run over it with the car.

Step #2, was to spray it with black self-etching automotive primer (to make sure to create a well bonded base coat for the subsequent layers/finishes.
Belatedly I decided that some of the exposed/crushed edges needed some thinning/refining.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Because this is full scale this is actually really simple....and since there were no "rules" as to how we go about finishing the cap, I took an easy-out/short-cut to the rust finish.

Third step...and this was primarily as a back-up/precaution in case things did not work as I anticipated, I randomly sponged on some dark toned AMMO rust tones. These were dried with a blow-dryer, and were immediately over-sprayed with some, DullCoat....which was also promptly dried with a blow-dryer.

Step #4; Now here is where the "easy out" came in; ..and this is not something I would recommend for a scale model, as IMO it only works/looks correct, in full scale or pretty close to it.

I randomly dabbed the cap with various thickness/thinned amounts of "Iron Base" from Sophisticated Finishes....I worked, and stippled it to build up areas and edges to vary the grain/coarseness of the eventual rust.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Step #5; Next, the cap was sprayed with hairspray, and just before the hairspray was completely dry, I sprinkled randomly coarse ground salt onto the cap.

Step #6At this point I mixed an "off-white" (to replicate an old/aged/weathered white, and one that I could come back in and do lighter 'mapping' on if I so decided) color using Tamiya paints and water, and airbrushed it randomly over the cap.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Step #7; I then took some Tamiya red, into which I poured/mixed some of the left-over off-white tone, to lighten/fade the red. This was airbrushed on through an Eduard metal star stencil. (Instead of just holding the mask in place, I should have put more effort into holding/attaching it tightly to the surface, so as to get a crisper edge....but I was in a hurry and lazy. :) )

Once this was dried with the blow-dryer, I applied a coat of Vallejo 'Satin Finish' (applying this at this point was not my preferred way to go, and did not yield the result I really wanted....but I was out of Tamiya 'Gloss Clear' to mix into the actual colors.

Step #8, was to scrub the salt with a brush, and use Windex and a brush to chip the paint.

Once the chipping was to where I felt it was okay, I brushed on the "Rusting Solution", and let it do its thing.

M-Works

marc_reusser

The cap 15 minutes after the application of the "rusting" solution.

M-Works

marc_reusser

And some shots of the cap this morning (set in what would be the apocalyptic scene :D ), after the solution had time to fully do it's job (the bottle says the solution is active for 24 hours).

M-Works

marc_reusser

A bit more in context

M-Works

marc_reusser

...and nothing is complete without the B&W glamour shot. :D

M-Works

mad gerald

This challenge is really weird ...  ::)  ...

... and THIS looks like as it would be a part of a chocolate-coated marshmallow ...  :D

marc_reusser

:D :D

Yes, the pitfall of using our phone for photography under fluorescent lights. :D

M-Works

BKLN

Ray Dunakin

Fun challenge, and excellent results!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

You do seem to be getting the hang of how to use paint. -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

Yes Russ Marc may have figured out the paint! But we already knew that  ;D
It's backing the car over the bottle cap that he's still trying to perfect  ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Stoker

Great -err, crappy looking finish on that bottlecap! Is the tattered stuffed animal to set the apocalyptic scene like the one from Breaking Bad?

Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis