• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemmrrc

Very cool thread this is. And the modeling displayed is just wonderful.

I found this old wagon at an antique store in Pigeon Forge, TN. I had no idea there was so much involved in a wagon wheel.

Jaime

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: finescalerr on February 29, 2012, 12:18:48 PM
Why would anybody here submit material to the Gazette? We are a galaxy away from its approach. -- Russ

Personally, I like to see advanced modelers share their knowledge in as many places as possible. Sort of "spreading the gospel" of fine modeling. The more people getting hooked on it, the more potential future readers/contributors you'll have.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Quote from: nemmrrc on February 29, 2012, 03:46:16 PM

I found this old wagon at an antique store in Pigeon Forge, TN. I had no idea there was so much involved in a wagon wheel.

Jaime

That wheel is quite a normal wheel, there are harder wheels to make than that one.

The wheel in the photo is a medium duty type of wheel, about good for a ton on it, the felloe is actually a steam bent two piece, which would make it about the 1900-20's manufacture.

The normal 12 spoke wheel of earlier construction, would have had 6 individual felloes fitted, two spokes per felloe, instead of the two steam bent felloes.

Some of the English type of wheels are weird with the dish so amplified, then again the American Sarvern type wheel is a different animal again.

For those interested in making model horse drawn vehicles, this site is well worth a real good look. Head to the Tips and Ideas section for info about making wheels.

http://scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/ 

regards  greenie

nk

If anyone is in Palm Beach, FL, there is an exhibition of an important 19th and early 20th century American West collection at the Four Arts Society. On the lawn outside the building is a row of wagons and a cannon...inside is a fully restored Wells Fargo coach Well worth a look if you have the chance.

http://www.fourarts.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=events.one&content_id=1085&x=5290590
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

mabloodhound

Mario posted this link elsewhere and it has a number of good photos of old wagons, plus other stuff.   Fairplay, CO
http://modvid.com.au/html/body_fairplay.html
About half way down the page.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Scratchman

Here's a old wagon I found near my home.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Gus

Then, of course, there's the good 'ol Galamander wagon.  I believe this one was used on Vinalhaven, Maine for hauling granite.  the granite blocks would be picked up by the windlass (long pole sticking above the vehicle) and slung under the heavy rear axle.  this photo indicates that the rear wheels are 12' high.  Seems a bit excessive but it's also hard to tell from an old photo.

I presently have the plans for this type about 75% complete to build a 1:8 but, as usual, getting fine detail on some of the wagons that can be located on the web is difficult.  One of these vehicles is on Vinalhaven Isl. presently and I contacted the owners (Historical Society) to see if I could arrange for some basic measurements and some better photo's.  Now, I was quite prepared to provide compensation for someone's efforts but the Director chose to insist that I build a complete 2nd model and donate it in return for the data and photo's.  Darn, sometimes a plan just doesn't seem to want to come together.  It is very difficult to get the required details on some builds that would be an absolute hoot to tackle unless someone has already made up some plans.......otherwise there's a lot of guessing going on as to actual scale when trying to (in this case) create plans from 5 oblique photo's.

mabloodhound

Gus, sounds like a good offer to me and a great opportunity to have one of your models on display in a museum.   It wouldn't be too difficult to build two of them once you have the dimensions and photos, just some time commitment on your part.
Good luck.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Scratchman

Sorry to hear about that Gus. One hour or so of his time to help you out, and all he wants is hundreds and hundreds of hours from you. You do museum quality work and I am sure that your work will end up in a museum some day. It sounds like this guy has no idea how much work is involved in one of your masterpieces. When I asked the owner for help on the Tozer portable steam engine that I'm Modeling the guy has been just great and has given me more help than I ever expected.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Gus

Hi Gord :D  Yup - including the plans the model will probably hit somewhere around 200 hours to get right.  Not a huge deal as I suspect that you are correct in that the guy really had no idea of what's involved.  On the good side, I found a 'Taber Wagon' at an auction near Edmonton last year and the guys at the auction were fantastic - photo's and measurements were happily provided as long as I displayed the model at the Spring Auction this year.  It's now done and I'm looking forward to the trip....and maybe find another vehicle that I can document while I'm there for a future build.  Sometimes it works.....sometimes it doesn't. ::) ;D

Cheers - Gus

Terry Harper

Gus,

There is a Galamander of a slightly diffrent design in the Maine State Museum in Augusta and another one on display in Cherryfield Maine alongside route 182

If your interested in the one at the State Museum I would contact Kate McBrien - Curator of Historic Collections. She has been extremly helpful to me in the past - taking photos of details etc. for one of my projects. Indeed they might already have a set of drawings available.

Also, I am only about 45 min. away from the museum if I can be of assistance just let me know.

Best regards,
Terry

Gus

Quote from: Terry Harper on March 20, 2012, 07:19:14 AM
Gus,

There is a Galamander of a slightly diffrent design in the Maine State Museum in Augusta and another one on display in Cherryfield Maine alongside route 182

If your interested in the one at the State Museum I would contact Kate McBrien - Curator of Historic Collections. She has been extremly helpful to me in the past - taking photos of details etc. for one of my projects. Indeed they might already have a set of drawings available.

Also, I am only about 45 min. away from the museum if I can be of assistance just let me know.

Best regards,
Terry

Terry - thank you so very much for the contact name and the very kind offer.  I will contact Kate McBrien and see how that goes......then proceed from there.  I would very much like the model to be 'museum quality' but, at present, the lack of detail will make anything built designated as an 'of a type' build.  Perfectly acceptable in certain circumstances (drawing/interpreting from photo's) but not what I would really like to accomplish as an end product.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it all works out.

Cheers - Gus ;D