• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbain

Quote from: gin sot on November 28, 2010, 10:36:20 AM

Loading watermelons from a wagon into a ventilated boxcar, somewhere in North Carolina, 1928.  Looks like the print is reversed.

No, the print is not reversed, have a look at the centre bottom panel, you can just make out the word "studebaker", this company was making waggons long before they got into cars.

Malachi Constant

No, that doesn't (appear to) say Studebaker forwards or backwards -- save the photo, blow it up and have a look.  ???

Photo does NOT appear to be reversed -- you can clearly make out "A.C.L." (Atlantic Coast Line) on the boxcar door (if you zoom in on the photo).  ;)
-- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gus

Hi Folks - I'd like to voice my appreciation to Scratchman for coming over to the SMHDV http://forum.scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/index.php forum and providing the link back here (thanks Gordon :) ).

I had no idea that your type of modeling was out there ???....now I do and after many hours of exploring I can only marvel at the skill and artistic level presented.  And.........you do it so SMALL :o  I thought I did tinky little fussy stuff - my goodness....I'm out about 4 orders of magnitude :o

Cheers - Gus

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

I blew up the areas mentioned and tweaked them a bit in PSP .. like Dallas said, the A.C.L. shows the photo is not reversed. Anyone want to guess what it says on the wagon?
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

DaKra

THORNHILL it was a wagon company

eTraxx

Dave. Hmmm .. had a thought. How about a sheet of Lasered signs .. like the 'THORNHILL' .. you could have all the manufacturers .. for example .. found this website .. Tractor and Farm Equipment Manufactures Development History Timelines
Ed Traxler

DaKra

It really should be a decal, those markings were painted on, same as the pinstriping.   

Malachi Constant

Welcome Gus!  And, that horse-drawn forum looks like a great place to go get lost for a while ... bookmarked!

Yeah, I'll buy "THORNHILL" ... now that we've got that name, it can be "seen" quite readily in the original photo.  Now that Dave mentions that all this was painted on, it becomes obvious too that this wagon was once quite nicely decorated.  Some additional lettering is still evident in the lower left panel ... they did a very realistic job of fading out the trim in most of the other panels.   ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Ferraris, Porches, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, and Maseratis of their day. -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

In Sun valley Idaho they have the annual "Big Hitch" parade! I went last year, it's during Labor Day and it's the largest non-motorized Parade in the west! The wagons, coaches and the 20 mule team are a thing of wonder! And if you ever get a chance to go to the Calgary Stampede, those restored rigs and teams of Clydesdales are worth over a million apiece and they have dozens of them on display! You gotta go at least once!
MPH
http://www.visitsunvalley.com/static/index.cfm?action=group&contentID=535
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Scratchman

I found this photo at a yard sale.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

eTraxx

You can tell the guy was proud of the wagon. There's very good work there.
Ed Traxler

marc_reusser

Dont know how much of this is original and how much is just mocked-up, but I ran across this being used as a street sign/address.  Sorry pics aren't that great..was on my bike and only had my phone camera.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works