• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

progress on my boiler house kit

Started by steamloco, March 23, 2007, 08:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamloco

I've purchased and nearly completed a SierraWest boiler house kit and have come to a point where I'm not sure which direction I would like to proceed.  I am debating whether or not to put a removable roof on the model or continue to build it as the kit directions instruct.  I'd like to built a removable roof but am not sure quite how to go about it.  Any suggestions?

marc_reusser

From the photos, it looks very nicely done....What scale is this? "O"?

I personally am not a big fan of removable roofs...I like looking into a structure from the scale human p.o.v. Most all the lift-off roof work I have seen was somewhat ill fitting, or didn't age well over time (ie warped, or broke in some way".  But then that's just my own wierd opinion....I'm a guy that likes "basics" ...and not all kinds of "gimmicky" things on models. (gimmicky not meant in derogatory manner towards your idea.)

If you do go with a removeable roof, your biggest challenge will be to work around the stack, and keep it fittig/sitting correctly all around, over the long haul.

I guess you could always make only a portion/section of the roof removeable, and make it so that it blends on with the fixed section....this way the stack could remain/be located in the fixed section. and you would avoid the problem of how to remove the roof around it.

Somewhat of example of what I am suggesting was done by Chuck Doan on his Locomotive Repair shed Dio.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

I think I would go with Marc on this.  Looking at this from a human scale p.o.v..  I went back to SierraWest Web site and looking at the finished model with the roof on, makes it feel that your there looking inside.  Your doing a very nice job on that model.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin