• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/87 Rotary O-M Snowplow

Started by steammodeler, January 09, 2008, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steammodeler

As a newer member I'm not sure if my current project has any interest to any of the very skilled modelers here but I do enjoy seeing everyones fine work. My project started out as a run of the mill kitbash but the more research I did on the subject the more detail I wanted to build into the model. Using a Roundhouse rotary housing and blade form my old Roundhouse kitbash kit and then finding drawings in a 1977 RMC magazine I went from there. Here's a couple of progress photos, and not exact in every detail I have tried to hold pretty much to the scale dimentions provided. The steam cylinders do operate and the front rotary blades rotate via a modified MDC Shay truck. The motor powering this is inside the boiler. The side walls are removable as will be the roof. Because the O-M rotary is not self powered and is basicly a locomotive on a flatbed inside a boxcar body power trucks are not needed. The tender for the rotary is also under construction and will house the DCC decoder and pickups thus allowing low speed rotary control, headlamp, and interior lighting. Once again these are progress pics so grabs, further boiler details, etc. are not installed yet.

If there is any interest in my current project I can supply additional details and pics if members would like.

Thanks for viewing,

James

finescalerr

marc_reusser

James,

Welcome to the forum.

An ambitious undertaking. Nice combination of parts and scratchbuilding.

Thanks for posting it. Look forward to your progress.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Welcome to the forum James.
A very nice project and coming along nicely, yes please do keep us posted on the progress.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

John McGuyer

Very nice project. Good metal work, good wood work plus added plastic work. Use what works best for the application. This is real model building. Please keep updating us on the progress.

John

steammodeler

:) Thanks for the kind words! As I like to work in brass for my locomotives I tend to try to use brass or as needed styrene for metal, wood for wood, hydrocal for brick, stone, etc. As a life long modeler I have recently been building from many of the older magazine plans and am finding it a very enjoyable type of modeling from the usual kits. I'll have some additional photos on this project soon.

James