• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Tractor Loco

Started by marc_reusser, November 08, 2007, 08:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Was digging through my hard drive, and came across these images of the initial construcion of this loco....Thought I would post them just for info/reference.

The "tractor" portion of the loco was constructed using heavily modified and reshaped parts from a 1/48 scale Bandai SdKfz.-11 half-track kit, as were the rear transmission and "tractor frame". The firewall was made from sheet styrene, and an HO boxcar brake ratchet mechanism enclosure. The transmission ia part of a Grandt Line O-scale caboose stove, and the floor plate is from an HO  Jordan truck kit. The gusset plates came from a Grandt Line Koppel ore car kit.

The loco frame was modified from a Grandt-Line "Battery Mine Loco"

A new deck for the loco frame was made from sheet styrene embossed with rivets using a NWSL Sensi-press. "Mounts" for the "tractor" were made from cut down Grandt Line D&RGW coupler pockets.

Smaller details were then added using strip and sheet styrene, a PSC brake lever, brass strip and wire. Additional rivets from Tichey were also added.  The white metal tank shape came from an HO parts scrap box.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

what brand is the loco frame ? is it plastic.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Jacq,

It is part of a plastic kit from Grandt Line.

It is the kit # 3053 STORAGE BATTERY MINE LOCO KIT-UNPOWERED cost is 15.00 (it is towards the bottom of the page)http://www.grandtline.com/model_railroad/rolling_stock_and_locos.htm

A modeler, "Lutz", over on the German forum ModellBoard is using it to build a small loco inpired by those used by Weherhaueser Lumber Co. in their lumber yards. (in the images below it is still missing the cab, and additional small details)

Marc

M-Works

Nurser

Marc, I used to work in Sontra, Hessen at the old copper mine and a neat little 2ft-ish loco was a roadside display on the corner of the Weissenhassel/Hornel junction.  There were other bits and bobs around the area like wagons and such.
I was wondering if you have any knowledge of/references to this line.  It's the one line that I could get interested in abroad because I was close to it for 7 months in 2000. 
The drive up to the Brodberg was on blue stone.  Alledgedly the byproduct of copper smelting.  The road to Weissenhassel was also called Kupferstrasse.  The ride up the hill on wet blue stuff was a hairy run. I had a Ford Ka (blechh!) on hire and used to thrash the ugly little mother mercilessly up there, but it never let go, to its credit. 
BTW, I can recommend Fred's little family run hotel in WH.
Hector

marc_reusser

Hector,

Unfortunately I am not familiar with this line...at least that i know of.....but it sounds very interesting. I am sure that somone on one of the German forums is probably familiar with it. I can check if you want.

Marc

M-Works

Nurser

Marc, if it's not too much hassle. I wouldn't know where to start and my German is now very rusty.  I never was much of a German reader, but I could just manage a kind of chat with a patient person ;)
Hector

marc_reusser

Some quick pics of the progress.....pretty much done with this, except for a small lever and it's trim detail at the left side of the firewall. I lost the damn part somewhere, and thus now have to meke one again...Grrrr!

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

A more accurate photo/representaion of the colors. The other 3 Images were shot while overcast without proper white-balance adjustment.

Marc

M-Works

finescalerr

Marc, that critter looks just hideous -- possibly the worst fiasco I've ever seen. What an embarrassment ....

Seriously, it is without question one of the finest 1:48 scale internal combustion models I've ever seen. (And I'm OLD!)

Russ

marc_reusser

Shucks...thanks... now your just making my cheeks blush! ;D

M-Works

Krusty

QuoteShucks...thanks... now your just making my cheeks blush!

What he really means is: you've got until Friday to get the article finished....
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

TRAINS1941

Marc

I see you are renewing all kind of things, first it was the side-dump cars now the critter.  All of which are outstanding models.  So I must ask the questionis the car "Citeron" next to come up?  I don't think I ever saw that finished.
Keep the progress coming its good to see youback full time with us.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

jacq01

Marc, 

if you don't run trains, I do  ;D ;D ;D ;D
   I don't mind changing my logging project to include a grading scene incorporating
   your loco's and tippers. It would set the standard.........

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Thanks Guys!

Jerry; The Citroen revival is in the works....I am currently trying to wrestle through several issues on it:  I think I am going to have to suspend "Reality" for ease of mind and sanity, insofar as as modeling the drivetrain....the real car was front wheel drive....which would be OK if I model the car with four "rail wheels" in the same loc as the road wheels were....but I am sort of feeling that two rear wheels, and a 4-wheel front "truck" look more interesting.....but this means that the model would now be a "rear wheel" drive.....not a huge issue in "pretend model-land", and most modelers would probably not even know/notice....but I need to come to grips with it.  The other items are "wheel design"...I need to scratch some wheels that I feel look interesting and appropriate......and I am also playing around with the roof and guard details shown in the photo below...to make sure I feel happy with them.

Jaqc; I just couldn't do that to you...I would hate to be the one that ruins your proto-realistic logging scene with a flight of fancy rail tractor....especially one that would be so very out of your period timeframe....I would feel too guilty. ;D ;D

Larry;  Russ knows better than to expect an article from me...I cant write...I am illegitimate. Besides how am I ever supposed to remeber all the steps and techniques.....I can barely remember what i had for breakfast this morning.  ;D

Marc

M-Works