• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

One inch to one foot weathering??

Started by mobilgas, May 30, 2010, 05:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobilgas

Heres a old door and screen i picked up... added some old weathered pop signs....have to add a old door handle to the door and scronge up a handle out of the parts box for the screen ;) do some more vallejo washes and Mig pigments.....and i think it will be just about done ;D   Craig

Malachi Constant

You'd better start looking for a really, really BIG penny if you're gonna "sell" that one to these guys!  ;D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Fred H.

Man your wife must LOVE IT when you drag stuff like that home!

Sadly, I live in a two bedroom 1300 SF condo, so there'd be no place to hide it!!

mobilgas

Looking for that big penny now :o ::).....Fred,  wife don't give me a hassle at all on what i bring home.  Just couldn't pass it up when i seen it. Love the colors on this piece and when i added the pop signs it made it that much better ;D    Here's a picture on were i got it at!    Really like the big sliding door on this building the colors are great.  This wont be around long there tearing it DOWN  :(    Craig

lab-dad

Nice!
Got any more pictures of that building?
The two will be definitely used as inspiration for my next project (currently in the planning stages)
-Marty

Chuck Doan

That dual panelled slider is great!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Carlo

Craig -
Is that a model... in 1" scale? You built it? Magnificent!
I take it this will be part of a photo backdrop for some of your auto models, or is it something else?
It's nice to see someone else here model in a LARGE scale.
Carlo
http://www.spirito.biz

mobilgas

Carlo,      Its a real door and screen that i pulled... out of this old farm. I just added some of my old pop signs to the door that i had saved for this purpose....I been looking for some old barn wood for some time now ;) want to do one wall in my garage with this old stuff....make it look like a old wall of a building?? or something like that.     I have some Crazy ideas.... ;)have to see how they will play out.   Craig

mobilgas

Marty,   I do have some more pictures of this farm.....but the ones i have left show the building falling down :( and in bad shape.  Are you looking for pictures like that??  I do have some pictures of another cool barn i took a couple weeks ago on a trip i took up north of a barn that's not falling down.             Chuck,    I went back today to see if i could get that sliding door I wanted that door for quite some time now....Its one of my pictures that is my favorite's ;D and this is what i found >:(   I though they were going to start tearing it down today but they started over the weekend.  I talked to the owner today and said he would sell me some wood?? But all the stuff i wanted was on one other building had the same paint that was on the door i grabbed. Im pissed  >:(

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

JohnP

I hate to see old farms torn up. Can't they just go on forever proudly and honorably? I wish more of those old structures could be preserved somehow but wood does have a lifetime.

Anyway, Craig you are one devoted collector. Well done.

John
John Palecki

mobilgas

John,    I hate to see old farms disappear too....Ive seen way to many in my area get torn down :(   Ive noticed if the roof stays good it last's.  Once the roof goes then the rest follows.  This one farm has been empty for a long time since the 80's i think.....been watching it for along time. I don't know what it is about old Barns but i always had a strong interest in them at a young age ;)  Here's another 2 pic's.... check out the old light in upper corner of barn the shade fell off and was laying on the ground....i grabbed it ;D   Craig

lab-dad

Thanks Craig,
I was just looking for inspiration.
I will be building that dual paneled slider!

On an episode of this old house the wall to the master bedroom was old galvanized corrugated.
The bedroom door was a slider too, I went ga ga over that.
Lots of classic signs around and an old furniture cart for a coffee table!
They also used weathered siding inside somewhere, really a neat house, one of my favorites.
I believe it was in Mass.
-Marty

shropshire lad

This sort of destruction has been going on for hundreds of year over this side of the Pond , and on far more prestigious buildings than the farms in these photos . For example , since WW2 I believe there have been around 400 stately homes destroyed because people have been unable to keep them going . What is more upsetting is the thought of all the millions of man hours of skilled craftsmanship that have been wasted . It wouldn't be so bad if the materials were all reused , but a good proportion of it has either been burned or used as hardcore . Bastards .

Grrr , don't get me started ,

Nick

RoughboyModelworks

Good photos Craig. There are lots of old decrepit barns around the village here and some great weathering references. Once we get settled in, I'm planning on taking a few photo excursions to record some of these structures before they're gone for good.

Paul