• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Come to think about it, I DID take a shortcut with my model.
The prototype does still exist, and I had the opportunity to photograph it. But I decided not to try and measure it. Both because it would stretch the goodwill of the people that allowed me access to the workshop, and that I felt it was possible to estimate the dimensions from pictures and a good section drawing of the building. 
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hauk

Have we discussed what to use for steel wire in a model?

I need a product that will hang straight, nothing spoils the illusion like a crane hook that does not have the weight to pull a cable straight.

I think I will go for something that simulates a stranded steel cable, even if you look closely at the enclosed picture, it looks like they used something else for the crane.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Bill Gill

Hauk, I overlooked the toy-tool with hammer and bench with plastic pegs that inspired you to do all the rivets. Obviously it had a strong influence on you as a child :)

I have seen very thin stranded cable in the jewelry section of craft stores. Could a piece of it be hung vertically with sufficient weight to hold it straight and then keep it straight with thin cyanoacrylate glue before cutting it to the length you need?

Design-HSB

Hello Hauk, such cranes used to use chains mostly and a very nice fine chain, which I also like to use, is available here.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bernhard

Look here: http://www.steba.org/
In the catalogue on page 32 there are very fine stainless steel ropes, which are composed of several strands. They are very flexible. I also used them for my bucket chain excavator.

Bernhard

Hauk

Quote from: Bernhard on December 16, 2019, 05:19:21 AM
Look here: http://www.steba.org/
In the catalogue on page 32 there are very fine stainless steel ropes, which are composed of several strands. They are very flexible. I also used them for my bucket chain excavator.

Bernhard

Thanks a lot for the link, Bernhard! A lot of potentially useful stuff.
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

Quote from: Design-HSB on December 16, 2019, 05:16:37 AM
Hello Hauk, such cranes used to use chains mostly and a very nice fine chain, which I also like to use, is available here.

From the picture it looks like they used netiher a wire or a chain. It looks more like a belt of some sort. But even if that is correct, it is so counterintuitive that most viewers of the model will think it is an error. So I will go for a chain or a wire.

And in my opinion, a very fine chain might look best.
Regards, Hauk
--

Design-HSB

Hauk, I made various tests for my bridge crane. The original steel ropes are unfortunately too stiff if they have the exemplary strength. I also work successfully with these chains. However, not yet via rolls, these would have to be adapted to the chain profile in any case, this is the case with the original. As a rope, scale rope from an old radio is also new at E-bay. I dye the sail with pickle steel grey. As an example my bridge crane on my "Klosterstollen".
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Lawton Maner

Bernard:

No excuse.  Never let girls distract from what is really important. ;D ;D

My note taking with cameras kept Kodak solvent for years.  There are 25 binders of contact sheets and negatives in my office going back to my college years. 

Hauk

I had hoped to make more progress during the holiday, but celebrating christmas takes some serious time :)

But here are a couple of images that proves that at least some time has been spent in the workshop:

And ff course my new year´s resolution is to get more modeling done!
Regards, Hauk
--

Ray Dunakin

Wow! Looks like it was built by miniature steel workers in a miniature machine shop!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Wow that is some excellent work!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Bernhard

Nice work! The steel construction with the gusset plates is very impressive.
Bernhard