• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: 1-32 on February 23, 2021, 12:49:35 PM
Hi Hauk.
I am trouble viewing your photo maybe it is my end I was also having trouble with Frithjof but that is fixed now.
cheers

I think there are some issues with browser compability and the forum software.
Some images show up in Mozilla, but not in Chrome. Perhaps it would help to try with another browser?

Do you have problems with all my images or only some?
And how did you fix the issues with Fridtjofs images?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

WP Rayner

I too am unable to see the photos, just an icon for a broken link. I have the same issue with the Scandinavian and European based members as well. Same issue regardless of browser (Chrome and Edge). I've turned off my VPN, and tested with all my ad blockers, spam blockers, tracking blockers etc. turned off just for this site... same result, no images. Of course, it could well have something to do with our ISP here in rural ON, "We're sorry, we don't allow you to see anything that doesn't have to do with farming, snow removal, hockey, or flavorless food."
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

WP Rayner

Image issue solved: I switched to Firefox (thanks for the suggestion Hauk) and all images are now visible. Edge is a chromium based browser, so essentially the same as Chrome which would explain why both responded with the same fault. Now I can finally see what everyone is up to!
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Hauk

Quote from: WP Rayner on February 23, 2021, 01:27:50 PM
Image issue solved: I switched to Firefox (thanks for the suggestion Hauk) and all images are now visible. Edge is a chromium based browser, so essentially the same as Chrome which would explain why both responded with the same fault. Now I can finally see what everyone is up to!

Great!
Firefox saves the day!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Hauk

Just a quick question regarding texture.
I have tried a new material for simulating concrete. It is a Portland cement based spackeling compound.  I added some fine decomposed granite to the mix, and this is the result:

It is a bit coarser than strictly prototype, but I feel that in 0-scale you can exaggerate things like textures slightly to get an effect that is noticeable when you see it "live". The picture is a crude enlargement, and when viewing the diorama you will not be able to examine it so close as this.

Regarding the color, it needs to be quite a bit darker. In fact, I think that I should exaggerate a bit here as well, and select colors that are a shade darker than strictly prototypical. It is not the floor that is the main attraction, and with the light coming mainly from above, I suspect that I would need to darken the floor when editing pictures. But more on coloring in a later post.

PS: Coming to think of it, Portland cement mixed with gravel and water IS concrete!
Regards, Hauk
--

Lawton Maner

Is this a ready mixed or add water compound?  And, what is it called?

The texture in the photo might be a bit finer if you dip the tool being used to smooth it in a bit of water when spreading.  Otherwise with a bit of color correction you've come close to the feel of an old, outdoor concrete slab.  A couple of patches and some oil spills and you will have gotten the feel of my driveway.

finescalerr

Nice start but maybe the texture could be slightly finer. Even in 1:48 and from a normal viewing distance we have to be careful with exaggeration. I'll be very interested to see how it looks after the little improvements you describe. -- Russ

Hydrostat

I second what Russ said about exaggeration. Be aware that the most ongoing impression a viewer may have is from pictures you may take of the model. I tend to rather build for pictures than exhibitions.
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

WP Rayner

And I third his comments. Subtlety is key, over-statement is risky. I'm assuming that the shop has a concrete floor, at least in part. All industrial concrete floors I've seen have been smooth and somewhat poly-chromatic from wear, oil and other fluid stains, etc. Also, most industrial floors, especially in an active shop, are swept and cleaned regularly for safety reasons, further polishing the floor over time. Other than that, I believe the ingredients and process hold promise and I too am interested in seeing the results of further experiments.
Paul

Hauk

The scepticism against exaggeration is duly noted!
And the point about most people will never see the model in real life is valid. In fact, you could say that  the photos are the product.

It is a bit irritating that the cast plaster tests are in fact much better. But that process is OK for small test pieces, I have trouble seeing how I can scale it up for the whole shop floor.

But on the other hand, the prototype floor is quite coarse:

It is a delicate balance!
Regards, Hauk
--

Hydrostat

Hauk,

I'm not sure about the concrete. The floor color seems to be rather dark and the round edged cracks right side from the track to me look a bit like like tar or mastic asphalt?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

I had the same reaction to your new photo as Volker. It looks more like some kind of asphalt. Still, I have confidence that whatever floor you build will look outstanding. -- Russ

WP Rayner

Very curious... not at all what I expected it to look like. Given what appears to be the softness of the wear in the cracks and the indentations, particularly on the left side, along with the non-reflective characteristic of the surface, Volker may have the right idea. It almost looks like packed dirt in the left foreground. The area in the right foreground looks like a coating applied to a lower surface. Other areas surrounding the machines and where the gentleman at the left is standing, are worn or compressed quite smooth, again suggestive of a somewhat "soft" surface. It occurs to me that if you dropped a wrench on this floor, it would "thud," not "ring" as it would if dropped on concrete. At the very least, it's a interesting challenge.
Paul

EZnKY

My guess is we're looking at a mopped coat of tar over the concrete slab, with sand sprinkled into the hot tar for slip resistance.  The asphalt moves differently than the concrete due to changes in temperature, causing the cracking.

We do essentially the same thing today as a high-tech floor system in factories, commercial food processing area, etc, only using epoxies instead of hot tar.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

finescalerr

Hey, Eric, whatever happened to your modeling? We rarely even hear from you anymore and it's been years since you last posted a photo. -- Russ