• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Cool.

Unfortunately slicer errors tend to be of the 'bad file' variety.  Succinct, but unhelpful for troubleshooting.  Flipped normals catch me out from time to time.  They happen infrequently enough (for me) that they are not something I normally check for.  But if a file is problematic, they are a common culprit.
Tips, Tricks, Techniques & Tools / Re: Resin 3D printing
Last post by Stuart - Today at 01:29:07 PM
Lawrence,

After reviewing your list of the possible problems one might encounter in creating printable 3D models, I went back to my SketchUp program to investigate how to correct reversed normals.  Of all the items you listed, reversed normals was unfamiliar to me.  Sure enough, that turned out to be the problem.  Fortunately SketchUp makes it pretty easy to identify where the problems lie and with not too much effort I have been able to make the corrections.  The models saved correctly as stl files and the few I have printed have turned out successfully.

So thanks again for your expertise and helpful suggestions. 

Stuart
Modellers At Work / Re: Not actually a Union Gas E...
Last post by Ray Dunakin - February 17, 2024, 08:09:06 PM
Looks great!
Modellers At Work / Re: Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:3...
Last post by Bill Gill - February 17, 2024, 07:00:11 PM
I caught a quick glimpse of a news story that NASA is planning to demolish a number of buildings connected with the early manned flightsat Cape Canaveral that previously had been preserved.
Last post by finescalerr - February 17, 2024, 12:18:27 PM
I could not agree more strongly with HÃ¥vard. -- Russ
Last post by Hauk - February 17, 2024, 09:01:53 AM
Quote from: Bernhard on February 17, 2024, 02:16:27 AMIt's a real shame that this interesting piece of industrial history is simply disappearing without practically any trace.

Bernhard

It is sad indeed that the unloaders wil not be preserved. But it makes your model even more valuable and interesting.
Last post by Bernhard - February 17, 2024, 02:16:27 AM
Thank you all for your encouraging comments.

QuoteBy the way, regarding the dicsussion to use rivets or not, I think this an excellent argument for the use of rivets

Hauk, it was clearly the right decision to reproduce the rivets. I'm glad that I was able to have the discussion here. However, it also takes a lot of time.

Bad news: I heard from a modeler in Cleveland, who is also interested in the Huletts, that the Port of Cleveland has decided to scrap the two remaining engines for good.
You can also read about it here:
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/after-decades-long-effort-to-save-them-hulett-ore-unloaders-on-whiskey-island-to-be-sold-for-scrap
or here:
https://www.ideastream.org/community/2024-02-09/clevelands-historic-huletts-are-headed-for-the-scrap-heap-is-there-still-time-to-save-them

It's a real shame that this interesting piece of industrial history is simply disappearing without practically any trace.

Bernhard
Last post by finescalerr - February 16, 2024, 01:32:24 PM
Nice work on the revision. -- Russ
Last post by Barney - February 16, 2024, 08:03:49 AM
Bodey will be of the open type - just did not look right with roof !!
Last post by Barney - February 16, 2024, 08:02:22 AM
Small Petrol side tank with lube' tank and main paraffin (kerosene ) tank constructed
Components of the radiator ready for assembly flat sheet with 40 thou rods added - Then for front of rad a brass overlay Rear tool box with missing lid ! it fell off at  some point of its life
Barney