• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ian McQue's Deckhands Series #1

Started by FichtenFoo, March 26, 2012, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FichtenFoo

Thought you guys would appreciate these. Coming in July if not sooner... Three 1/35 scale deckhand figures designed by Ian McQue. Price TBD. Great for the Remora, or any number of diorama situations! Check out the 3D prints and size in mm here.

http://industriamechanika.com/blog/2012/03/ian-mcques-deckhands-series-1/

Chicks dig giant robots.

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

marc_reusser

If I buy more, then I might have to listen to "Johnny-order-late Jones", whine about anyone having an extra one they want to sell.  ;D ;D :P :P 

M-Works

Andi Little

WOW - these are fabulous. PLEASE please please - think about 1/24-5th. I have a lifetime of modelling invested in this scale and I caught myself thinking only the other day how marvellous the aftermarket was for 1/35. It's enough to turn a man's head.

For me I really like the guy with the mop - very characterful and narrative.
KBO..................... Andi.

mad gerald

WOWZERS ...  :o ... these are so fantastic, that I'd rather consider a change in scale towards 1/35 ... if 1/35 would not be "so small" (for aging eyes) so I'd better stay with 1/22,5 scale ... you don't intend to offer some of your products in lager scales ...  ??? ... do you?  8)  ;D

Cheers

lab-dad

Excellent!
Get that pre-order email thingy working!
So I wont have to beg Marc for extras!
-Marty

FichtenFoo

Thanks guys! Ian's concept sketches were great and Rishi did a fantastic job translating them into 3D.

Regarding 1/24 scale... (Maybe 1/20 because there's the Ma.K. (SF3D) market?) If I can get at least 30 interested, I'll upscale them and have additional masters printed at a larger scale. That's the great part about 3D modeling. Although these were designed specifically for 1/35 so by upscaling them, some detail loss may occur and they may look... softer. In the future I'll have them made for a larger scale then it'll be easier to down-scale the prints than up. I can't justify the large expense of printing another master unless I know it'll sell. High-Resolution 3D printing isn't exactly cheap.

Quote from: lab-dad on March 27, 2012, 05:12:01 AM
Excellent!
Get that pre-order email thingy working!
So I wont have to beg Marc for extras!
-Marty
The email notification thing is up and running. Got it working yesterday. http://industriamechanika.com/blog/preorder-or-restock-notifications/
Chicks dig giant robots.

FichtenFoo

Started a Facebook "poll" on doing a larger scale. This worked well for gauging interest in the 1/35 scale Barrio Guy within our customer fan-base. Click the link and "like" us for up-to-date iMech news and reply with your preference! http://www.facebook.com/IndustriaMechanika/posts/185379714912241
Chicks dig giant robots.

BKLN

Those guys are really amazing! I have absolutely no use for them, but I just sit in awe by the wonderful translation from sketch to finished 3D model.

Some old school modelers might think that digital sculpting is ungraceful cheating, but anybody who has ever watched a 3D artist create models like this, will see that their work is true craftsmanship. I am very impressed! This is truly amazing!

FichtenFoo

I felt the same way at first, but with zBrush, you're literally sculpting with digital clay. Plus not every 3D modeler is equally skilled. Rishi is amazing... I had another guy working on these initially and it was total fail. Looked nothing like the source sketches and took forever to do one "meh" figure.

Rishi also did the brutal armored 1/7 scale Frankenstein figure we're releasing in a few months. (based on Adrian Smith artwork)
Chicks dig giant robots.

W.P. Rayner

Agreed, those are superb Michael. And I'm glad to know that digital modelling was part of the process for producing these figures. Any luddite who views this technology as cheating, clearly has no idea what he or she is talking about.

Paul

marc_reusser

I actually find it incredible and wonderful how this technology is revolutionizing how more and more figures are being made this way these days. I absolutely admire the work done by the highly skilled hand figure sculptors,...but I equally admire the guys that can do this in a computer. What I like so much about this technology is that when done well, it creates a really high level/quality figure, that really surpasses the quality and detail of past figures.

Marc

M-Works

Hauk

Those figures look amazing. Just a hint of caricature that just loads them with character.

I think a company like Preiser should take a careful look at those figures. They have tried something similiar with their large scale figures, but they just look ridicilous in my opinion.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past