• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:32 Dreispitz Basel

Started by shitao, May 21, 2020, 05:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

An outstanding result. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

What a clever method, and the results are excellent!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Hello Thomas,

First of all, please do not take my comment as negative criticism.
I just want to express my thoughts when I just saw your masonry:
I think the idea of laser cutting the rows of stones as individual layers is great - aligning them with the help of the square bars is also a great idea!
Only when I look at the 0.5mm thick joint does it appear to be a bit too strong. It is now 1/4 the height of the stone. At a scale of 1:32 this corresponds to 1.6 cm in the original.
I measured a joint width of 1.0 cm and a stone height of 6.0 cm on our house.
I think a spacer of 0.3mm at 1:32 would make the overall impression better.

Do you want to fill the joints with sand?

Otherwise, I always find it great how you can relate to reality in such a small space!
Frithjof

Lawton Maner

I'll place my vote in the thinner mortar column.  I'm not sure what the thickness is in other parts of the world is, but the usual here in the US is about a half inch (12mm +/-) which is why cement block while nominally 8" tall are actually 7.5".  Otherwise the wall looks great.

Hydrostat

Clever idea with the lasered brick walls. Yet another thought: in the last picture the bricks look very much 'lined up' wherever a row protrudes a bit. Would mounting the wall lying flat on a plane surface be an option? Otherwise it may not be visible after final coloring and weathering at all.
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

shitao

Hello

First of all: I am in this forum, because I LIKE to have critical comments.
In my opinion it is the only way to make progress in my individual modelling skills.
Thank you!

I agree with the too large spacing between the rows. Would have been better with a thinner joint.
It is something I will certainly "correct" for another try.

The joints will be finally filled with fine sand. This will give a really nice apperance and help to give a natural look.

The lining up of the individual rows was/is quite a challenge. I in fact did laying the wall flat on the table. But it is still not so easy..
Maybe I shoul have been more patient..?
Greetings from Switzerland

Thomas

finescalerr

If you're not completely satisfied, do it again. We all do that.

Well, except for me because I do everything perfectly the first time.

Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: finescalerr on May 30, 2021, 01:16:48 PM
If you're not completely satisfied, do it again. We all do that.

Well, except for me because I do everything perfectly the first time.

Russ

That's about the only advice that you need to build great models.  The only corrollary would be to save a bit of time by finding out how others do it.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com