• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The former blacksmith shop in Rickarum, Sweden. 1/35 scale,

Started by Junior, May 09, 2011, 02:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

This stuff is amazing!  I'm glad to see you "messing around" in 1/35 scale ... this will definitely keep me on my toes and inspired.

Also, for all those who say that Anders works with amazing speed ... well, that might be true sometimes ... but I happen to know that he's been "experimenting" with 1/35 stuff for some time before actually posting his progress photos.  So there, the dirty little secret is revealed!  ;D  :P

Is there something "wrong" with the "scene" photos?  My initial impression was that the shots of the individual detail parts looked amazing ... but something was "wrong" in the scenic shots.  While corresponding with Anders on other stuff, I mentioned this and indicated that I hadn't posted anything to that effect because I'm really not sure WHAT seems wrong ... maybe the lighting ... but somehow the amazement with the individual photos just feel kinda flat when looking at the scenic shots.

(Oh, and before someone tells me STFU and I'm just jealous ... well, sure I'm jealous -- though that really turns into inspiration after the initial shock ... and I'm posting these thoughts, because Anders like myself appreciates the "attaboys" but feels the critical reviews can be most useful ... and he asked me to go ahead and post the  ??? that crossed my mind.)  (And, just to confirm, yeah -- I'm jealous -- in a good way!)  ;D

Now, like I said, something seems wrong ... and I have a few ideas that I'll get to.  A couple minor points here that seem like somewhat definite concerns.  That Del Monte can seems rather large and out of place ... seems to compromise the size of the barrels and other details.  Think it would work tucked in amongst other junk, but seems like a distraction as a somewhat focal point.  Also,  the deep green plant in front of the green/white barrel (lower left) seems out of place in terms of coloration and needs to be blended in ... but let's talk about the scenic colors.

Anders -- In all of the prototype / inspiration photos that you've posted, I'm seeing some beautiful, lush scenery around the junk.  The grasses are GREEN, the soil looks rich and in this case even a bit muddy (wet).  But your model scenery looks a bit arid (dry) with burnt out grasses and dry/sandy soil.  Those effects look WONDERFUL on your Krakow garage, but they seem odd here compared to the original photos.  Do you intend to model the Swedish location?

Maybe it is just the lighting:  Aside from the issues of locale/climate and some very minor fine-tuning type things, maybe it is just the lighting.  I'm definitely NOT any sort of expert at photo-enhancement, but I took one of Anders' shots and tweaked as shown above.  To my eye, it now looks like "real stuff" outside on a bright, sunny day. 

Here's a comparison slice of the photo that Anders posted and my retouch.  To my eye, Anders original has a somewhat murky appearance (brownish, yellowish, like muddy underwater filter) ... so my "concern" may indeed just be a lighting / white balance issue.

And, again ... ANDERS is interested in YOUR opinions AND criticisms ... and, of course, you can still tell me to STFU and I don't know what I'm talking about!  ;D

(Now, come on Anders ... get this stuff PERFECT, so you can drive me completely insane trying to copy your work.)  :-X  :-\   ;)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Frederic Testard

Trying to copy the masters : this is the beginning of the end, Dallas.
Believe me, believe me...
Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

Did you notice the nice little paint cans, Frederic?   ;)  -- Dallas

(I want to believe you, and yet you've done so well actually wrapping up your masterpiece ... of course, maybe your hair is all standing on end now and your eyes are bulged and your face now shows that you've been thoroughly tortured in the process ... but the photos of the model look good!)

PS -- Anders, do lingonberries grow in the desert?  ;)

Junior

Thanks very much Dallas!

Some interesting and valid thoughts. First of all as mentioned in my first post this is a test project for a larger dump site but without some dramatic help it wont be much better than what you see right now. Anyway I just got some help from you Dallas so here we go.

Except for the ground cover and vegetation nothing is glued down so far. At the final site some of that stuff will be burried in the soil and there will be wheel tracks, mud etc. Your suggestion about having a "greener" look sounds great.

The Poppie flower you pointed out (Made by F. Rex if I remember right) is horrible and wont make it to the final scene. It´s the only complete paper plant I tested so far but have others on hand but are not convinced by any of them. I was actually wondering how long it would take before somebody jumped on that one - two days apparently ;D! The small laser cut yellow flowers are from Vectorcut and intended for 1/87 scale. You just punch them out and glue to whatever looks appropriate. The small white flowers are from Silflor and both of these are acceptable in my opinion. It seem to me that large paper and etched plants are mostly trouble - keep them small. Vines can look good just take a look at Ken Hamilton´s version. Unfortunately they don´t grow in the area I´m trying to model.

If anyone here at the forum has any ideas about improving paper and etched plants that would be great. The Del Monte can is the size that a restaurant kitchen would buy and I have no idea how it ended up at my dump site ???!

Great input Dallas keep them coming....!

Anders ???  

Malachi Constant

Yes, I think you did a wonderful job of "upsizing" the same scenic "feeling" that you did in HO ... BUT, for the Swedish setting, a much greener setting with richer soil will look better.  (These will also look REALLY good when complimented by that red blacksmith shop.)

Agreed, the Del Monte can is quite large ... and it certainly will work "somewhere" ... but if it is placed by itself, the unusual size becomes a distraction.  (The paint, oil and gas cans all look superb and "right size" ... so, the Del Monte can should go in a pile and one of those should go out front as a "separate" item.)

The yellow and white flowers both look great ... and you've convinced me to get some of the Vector Cut "HO" flowers to add to my stash.

I don't know what photo software you might have, but an "auto correct" in Irfanview (free program) made a big improvement in the outdoor scenes.  I made some minor changes after that, but the auto correct alone was significant.

Also, Marc recently posted a link to this very good thread on scenery:
http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7963&start=60

I think the "greens" shown there are more like what you'd want.  On that model, the soil still looks a bit drier and dustier than what I'm seeing in the Swedish shots ... but more of the washes and richer starting colors would help there.  You don't have to model "wet mud" to reproduce your scenes, but the soil should be richer.

Keep the amazing stuff coming!

Cheers,
Dallas

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas you beat me to it posting that thread ........... I use that one and this one http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3177&start=120 ......... I use both as bench marks.

Think Per Olav's work really captures Northern European damp and wet conditions.

Here are 2 of the pictures I keep above my work desk as inspiration, first one from the first thread, second from Per's

FWIW Anders I would consider maybe emphasising a worn path, just down to the dirt, through the piles of junk and tiering the vegetation from the path up to and around the junk and as you have already said sinking some of the drums into the ground.
Gordon

Mobilgas

Craig

finescalerr

The biggest perceived problem with Anders' outdoor scene is just the image's poor lighting and/or color balance. The same problem badly affects Per Olav's dioramas. As Dallas showed, by tweaking the contrast and color balance, he was able to bring the image to life. It is very difficult to make any meaningful decision about coloration until you can see the actual color.

Texture is another matter; even black-and-white photos reveal that. And the texture of the model vegetation is what I finally realized has mildly jarred me, especially as I look at the vegetation for about the third time. It is too coarse,tall, varied in color, and clumpy in comparison to real stuff near the actual structure. That doesn't mean it is "wrong" because you probably could find places around the world with similar weeds. It just doesn't match the 1:1 stuff (which, in this case, I prefer).

So maybe the ground cover should be smaller and simpler?

Russ

marc_reusser

Well, I really was trying to refrain from commenting on the scenery....especially since I was so impressed with the detail bits....and I wasn't sure what the heck was going on re. the scenery....but since Dallas and others have mentioned it, and asked for comments:

I am really underwhelmed by the landscaping/vegetation, and I feel it does a horrible dis-service to your junk and clutter.

I fully agree with what Russ has said about the texture, scale coarseness, etc.  I also feel it looks very schizophrenic and un-natural insofar as placement and grouping...IMO there should be some continuity and flow to scenery, it should not be screaming or jarring, and saying "look at me"...it needs to serve as a foil, canvas, compliment, and enhancer for all the other bits and pieces of the scene...it should be unifying and make the eye flow. .....especially in a northern european setting like you are doing (in a desert or arid area you can get away with a more spotty look).
Unfortunately some of your clusters and groupings happen to have one of my biggest pet peaves, in regards to scenery....and unfortunately so many people do it....and that is the starburst, explosion, hairplug look of a bush, weeds, and grass clumps. I know the premade grass clumps have some of this inherently and it is unavoidable...so that is fine...but I find the biggest offender to be a good number of the yellow dried clumps that you created. I also feel you need to go use some additional smaller fine scale greenery...loke low ground cover, or new growth (this can be done by using fine scenery foam and/or tree covering). Lastly, what makes scenes like Gunnar's and Per's work relates bak to the flow and unity...and they have achieved this by going through and painting/shading their vegetation with acrylic colors, not only to enhance, but also to give the scene a sense of "whole".

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

k27rgs

Anders. 

Once again, it's nice to see a project where I can study all the individual items in a scene and try work out how the hell you achieved the finishes.  I note the comments about the scenery.  Scenery is something that can look pretty ordinary in the early stages, but overtime, can look realistic with additional layers and blending. But thats another story.

Also good to see some of the "old timers" , giving "constructive" criticisms.  It's a refreshing change.
Marty's comment about the vice bolts, made me look at my models.

I've just returned from New Zealand on a mission to photograph more workshops and various "junk" scenes.  Maybe I'll post them on the WP forum in the near future.

Looking forward to seeing this project evolve.

regards     Mario Rapinett    ( Australia ......  located southwest of Pasadena )

marc_reusser

If anyone here at the forum has any ideas about improving paper and etched plants that would be great. 

Painting them appropriately would be a great start.  ;) ;D

QuoteNot sure if anyone was curious about the paint job on the tools and other details if so let me know because all of that is a totally different story with other brands of paint such as Tamiya, Vallejo and the Alclad 2 Lacquers.

Absolutely interested...just didn't want to seem pushy.  :)

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Junior

Hey guys,

Trashed it - new scenery coming up in a new TEST dump site. Had far to many different scenery items at hand that I was too eager to test in a far too small space. Also looked only at how the junk was arranged in all my prototype pictures and forgot about the vegetation.

As for how the details were painted there are so many different techniques used - could someone please be a bit more specific? Obviousley the trash can is not done the same way as the shovel  ;D ;D ;D.

Anders

PS. Thanks Mr. Mobilgas

Junior

Forgot this. Vegetation Swedish style - the way to go or what do you say Marc ???? By the way they do rust right through in this country - quite often actually. Just teasing you Marc.... :P

Anders
Pic ][/img]

Mobilgas

Craig

Malachi Constant