• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The former blacksmith shop in Rickarum, Sweden. 1/35 scale,

Started by Junior, May 09, 2011, 02:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Don't forget to check out www.jbadiorama.com . He makes his own plants and weeds and might be of some help . Whilst not specific to what you are doing , on the Sokol diorama he makes some nice looking waterplants .
   Still ever if the site is not of any help it is still worth looking at ,

Nick

shropshire lad

I just had another look on that site and he doesn't actually do much vegetation as most of his dioramas are set in the sea but what he does do is interesting .
  Sorry for any confusion caused ,

Nick

chester

All looking really super Anders. The hot water radiator is a junkyard feature not often seen in modeling, nice touch. And I too like the prototypical pallet. Great details.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Hey Anders....you're really starting to get on my nerves!  ;) ;D  Seriously...beautiful work, and incredibly fast.

Would you be so kind as to share an SBS of some of the paint work, such as on the bricks, the pallette, and on the wicker basket.

TIA

Marc

PS. Gordon, you're closer, so you really need to go do something about this...I mean why have you, chester and I been killing ourselves making small cluttery stuff, if Anders is just going to come along and leave us iin the dust.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Junior

Thanks very much guys for your kind comments and all the info. regarding weeds etc. - much appreciated ;D! Remember be tough in your criticism I can take the heat that´s why I´m here -to learn. Instead of having the wrong scenery when it´s almost too late I can now re-do that and hopefully make it more convincing thanks to an early post by you Marc.

When I looked at this project with my former 1/87 scale eyes I didn´t realize what a major undertaking this would be in 1/35 scale - totally different ball game but when you do get one or two things right it´s quite rewarding and much more fun.

I´ll be back real soon with some info. regarding the paint job. I do work a lot by intuition and trial and error so just give me a day or so. Sometimes I can´t even reproduce my own work done a few years ago >:(.

Frank, regarding the parts, Dallas has made a major research on everything available in this scale, thanks Dallas! Check his garage tread for all the manufacturers. If it´s something specific you would like to know about or can´t find just drop me a p.m. and I´ll be glad to help.

Anders  ;D

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 26, 2011, 12:05:00 AM

PS. Gordon, you're closer, so you really need to go do something about this...I mean why have you, chester and I been killing ourselves making small cluttery stuff, if Anders is just going to come along and leave us iin the dust.

The thought had entered my mind and if you are talking contracts I'm open to negotiation - however am working on a secret project which may grind his stuff into dust  ;D
Gordon

BKLN

Junior

Thanks Christian great to see you here again!

Here is the first SBS whatever that means ??? ??? ???. I know it´s a tutorial of some kind but what does it stand for ;D?

BRICK PILE.

I used Juweela 23049 Dark Beige plaster bricks. They do look great and are easy to break in a realistic way. However almost everyone of them have one or two tiny holes from trapped air during the casting process and that´s a real nuisance as it will show immediately if you don´t fix it. If you want perfectly smooth bricks these are no good because after taking care of the holes they will be somewhat irregular. As I have no experience with other manufacturers´ bricks I will stick to these as they take stains etc. very well. You don´t have to carve away the holes one by one it can be taken care of when a whole wall is completed but before painting them - obviousley ;D. I did them one by one as a pile is a bit different and there´s "only" 200 in the pile. Actually it´s not very time consuming.

I was initially after the same colors as in the prototype picture but after messing up too many I decided for more or less the look in the attached picture - a pile next to the other one. Just couldn´t get that first color variation right - maybe next try. Used very thinned Humbrol enamels No. 60, 82 and 100 these are from orange to red and No.29, 63 and 81 these are from beige to brown. With this method you can´t correct a thing they will soak up everything permanently. Acrylics might be more forgiving - haven´t tested yet. An option might be to seal them but then they would probably get a more painted look.

Glued two pieces of stripwood to the two facing ends of a rectangular piece of cardboard. This will make them lean towards the center. Glued everything in place and dry brushed black, grey etc. Mixed some black acrylic to wet plaster and made up the grout on some of them. I´ll guess these particularly bricks were salvaged from a wall. Finally I brushed on some Bragdon powders and added some Woodland Scenics fine ground foam to represent moss.

If anyone has some ideas about the colors in the "first" pile please share. Will be back with info. on the pallet etc. soon.

Anders  ;D

Pic. ][/img]

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Anders,

Came across these while out on my bike today, and thought of you. I really liked all the different types/styles.

Marc

PS. Better build them before Gordon decides to develops a sudden interest in pallets.  ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Junior

Thanks Marc,

Great picture and there´s even some bricks in the background could have been at my secret site which Gordon has no access to ;D!

SBS Pallet.

This was done a bit differently compared to the ladder that I have posted an SBS on previously. The ladder has probably been indoors for a century or so in the barn where I found it and the pallet outdoors for a couple of decades so obviously they have also weathered very differently.

I used the old trusty Humbrol enamels again and I know they are not very popular in the US but there are good color chart cross references on the Internet - maybe not for the Vallejo paints but I wouldn´t use them for this litlle project as they are acrylics.

Stained the wood with a thin wash of Humbrol enamel 87. This is a grey color with a lot of blue in it. Very diluted Paynes Grey from artists oils would probably also work. Every paint/wash step had a drying time of twenty four hours. Cut the wood to size for a palett in new shape. Distressed and broke some pieces etc. one more wash with the 87 to cover the now exposed areas. Next a thin wash of Humbrol 33 Black. Final wash I used Burnt Umber artists oil but only in the distressed places and around the staples. A final dry brushing with Humbrol 34 White to represent all the high lights that are so visible in the prototype picture.

Next some of the details.

Anders  ;D

Malachi Constant

A crowd gathers ... they start to chant:  "New photos!  New photos!"

So, of course, if you have any ...  ;)  :D  ???

(Meanwhile, sorry to say I don't have any new photos for my stuff ... been buried at work for a couple of weeks and that's likely to go on for another week or so ... getting vicarious "modeling breaks" by visiting the forum now and then.)

Hope you're not "down in the dumps!" or buried under a pile of tiny bricks ... Dallas  ;D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas,

it is well worth the wait ............... I have been fortunate  enough to see some pre-production shots.

Think the guy has handled his journey into a new scale pretty well  :)
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Quote from: gfadvance on June 07, 2011, 10:33:46 AM
Dallas,

it is well worth the wait ............... I have been fortunate  enough to see some pre-production shots.

You lucky _____ !  ;)   Of course, if I had seen some pre-production shots and happened to think they were more than good enough for prime-time, I probably wouldn't come right out and say so ... I'd probably just drop a few hints, hints, hints .... hint ... hint ... hint ....  8)

(Too subtle?)
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com