• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Narrow gauge tramway loco

Started by Peter_T1958, November 18, 2020, 08:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernd

Quote from: Sami on August 19, 2021, 07:44:32 AM
I've never built locomotives and I admire your work.
It's beautiful !

Thank you very much.

It has taken many years on the acquisition of tooling and failed projects.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on August 19, 2021, 05:35:58 AM
The same problem with the wheels. After a long back and forth and after looking up the various standards I had to realise that the wheels don't fit any of these standards – they were too narrow. So I am going to design my own wheels. Here a first attempt. No idea, if these printed steel parts are machinable at all...:-\

The engine seems to be progressing very well!
But who printed the metal wheels?

And I´m looking forward to hear how the machining of the wheels turned out!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Peter_T1958

Hi Hauk

As you know, first I wanted to use Slaters wheels. But you can make it out here: they are more then one millimeter too wide.

The idea with the printed steel wheels came up when I received the price calculation from «my» watchmaker. A brass wheel with a steel tyre would have been far too expensive. So I printed the whole wheel in Fine Detail Steel at i.materialise.com.

Cheers, Peter

P.S.  Some minutes ago my watchmaker wrote me, that the milling of the two prototypes was successful. I am very keen to see the result and will post an update here as soon as possible!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Barney

Superb - the detail is excellent
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on August 31, 2021, 12:23:54 PM

The idea with the printed steel wheels came up when I received the price calculation from «my» watchmaker. A brass wheel with a steel tyre would have been far too expensive. So I printed the whole wheel in Fine Detail Steel at i.materialise.com.

Cheers, Peter

P.S.  Some minutes ago my watchmaker wrote me, that the milling of the two prototypes was successful. I am very keen to see the result and will post an update here as soon as possible!

I fully understand your concern for the wheels.
When you are going to dress up, the shoes are important!

Looking forward to see the machined wheels.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hauk on September 01, 2021, 12:47:02 AMWhen you are going to dress up, the shoes are important!Looking forward to see the machined wheels.

And here they are. To me they look quite fine and so I ordered some plastic insulations from shapeways to put together one prototype wheelset. What do you mean with shoes? Brake shoes?

finescalerr

He is comparing wheels on a locomotive or on rolling stock to the shoes we wear. The wheels (i.e., locomotive "shoes") you produced really look good. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on September 01, 2021, 01:58:39 AM
Quote from: Hauk on September 01, 2021, 12:47:02 AMWhen you are going to dress up, the shoes are important!Looking forward to see the machined wheels.

And here they are. To me they look quite fine and so I ordered some plastic insulations from shapeways to put together one prototype wheelset.

The wheels look great!  Think I will try to test this route myself.
How well did the the dimensions of the printed parts compare with the STL-file you made?
Regards, Hauk
--

Peter_T1958

Hi Håvard

So stupid! I didn't catch the saying with the shoe... :'(

It's difficult to judge the accuracy of the dimensions after turning them on the lathe. As I can make out the wheel width is exactly 2.0 mm as drawn on the CAD program. And the inner wheel diameter (16.2 mm) matches exactly the drawing too. So I can't find any shrinkage...

[/URL]

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on September 02, 2021, 05:03:32 AM
Hi Håvard

So stupid! I didn't catch the saying with the shoe... :'(

It's difficult to judge the accuracy of the dimensions after turning them on the lathe. As I can make out the wheel width is exactly 2.0 mm as drawn on the CAD program. And the inner wheel diameter (16.2 mm) matches exactly the drawing too. So I can't find any shrinkage...

[/URL]

That sounds promising! My only concern is the price. I got a quote based on a wheel center around 17mm in diameter, and it clocked in at around 35 USD.
How much did you pay for your parts?

(Don´t worry about the shoes, that was just me trying to be clever... 8) )
Regards, Hauk
--

Peter_T1958

Just that's the point: One wheel cost 20.36 € postal charges not included. But since the entire project with all its trials and errors has become incalculable... ::)

Lawrence@NZFinescale

This all looks really great.

On the issue of wheels and cost though:  It would be straightforward to resin print wheels in a castable material and then lost wax cast into bronze (or whatever).  Obviously you then need to machine and add a tire.

My experience doing this (and I've done quite a lot) is that it is much cheaper than the prices you mention.

Lawrence
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Peter_T1958

Many thanks for your feedback! The difference to the other wheels is more then obvious and just that is the reason to follow this path!

@ Lawrence
As I do not have any machinery (Ok, a Proxxon drill and a soldering iron 😉) I have to bring all items to « my » watch maker and have to deal with his abilities. He didn't wanted to do «such complicate things»! And of course, this way is not less expensive at all...