• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rewanui - a 1940 West Coast NZ layout in 1:64

Started by Lawrence@NZFinescale, February 08, 2021, 08:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence@NZFinescale

I had a bit of a Christmas morning sort of experience on Saturday as a package of etching appeared on the doorstep.  It quickly turned into that sort of Christmas when you get socks rather than toys...

Amongst other things I'd etched a We locomotive.  These projects are long term and this was version 1, so some problems were anticipated.  Unfortunately there was some issue and the etchings for the superstructure did not reflect my artwork.  Fortunately all the major parts were OK, or at least salvageable.  So as they needed to be redone, I thought I'd prove the parts as there is little point in getting replacements with errors.  The etch contans alternative parts for different locomotives/periods.

It all went together really well.  There are a few issues that need more relaxed tolerance and one or two things that can be improved, but on the whole a very buildable locomotive body (this is a solid day's work spread over 3 days).  It's a quick proving without great care taken, but the design ensures almost all soldering is from the inside so it's nice and tidy.  One innovation I tried was to make the cab roof part of the cab interior assembly.  This worked very well and gives a secure roof that also stiffens the interior. The backhead shown earlier in this thread will be very visible.

This one will be parked for a bit while I get back to Wa217 and other things and await the reworked parts.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

On my best day I couldn't turn out anything as good as that reject. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: finescalerr on May 06, 2024, 12:30:05 AMOn my best day I couldn't turn out anything as good as that reject. -- Russ

My rejects are some of my best work!

The 3 'T's. Tricks, tools and techniques.  Design makes a huge difference too. I could show you pretty easily. I've had my wife build my kits to prove a point, and my son had a go soldering up etches when he was about 5 years old. It's not hard at all, but you do need to know the methods.  Nobody reads my instructions of course.

I had to fret out some of those windows by hand - you'll see on the etch they haven't etched through.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Hauk

I still remember the feeling when I unpacked my first sheet of etchings.
I truly felt like the king of modelling, ignoring completly that all praise was really due to the etcher.
And soon enough all my design mistakes raised their ugly heads...

But after a few generations of etches I started to get things right. I can see no reason that all the good people on this forum should not be able to achive at least a good results.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bill Gill

I've studied litle packets of etched kits hanging on pegs near the checkout counter at a craft store, wondering if they might include any little bits that I could make use of on my layout. But I've never dreamed of designing custom parts and getting them etched. Really impressive to see.   

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Hauk on May 06, 2024, 01:11:22 AMI still remember the feeling when I unpacked my first sheet of etchings.
I truly felt like the king of modelling, ignoring completly that all praise was really due to the etcher.

But after a few generations of etches I started to get things right. I can see no reason that all the good people on this forum should not be able to achive at least a good results.

I felt exactly the same!!

I didn't start with complete locomotives of course.  Simple parts to start with, moving into things like semaphore signals, graduating to wagons and then to locomotives.  At each step you learn something and accumulate little innovations and tricks you can use in subsequent projects.  There are lessons in the things that don't work so well too.

As with castings and prints, I do etching for others as well.  It's quite useful for me to do small outside projects as they can fill up space on sheets to make the process more viable.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Hauk

Quote from: Lawrence@NZFinescale on May 06, 2024, 11:50:05 AM
Quote from: Hauk on May 06, 2024, 01:11:22 AMI still remember the feeling when I unpacked my first sheet of etchings.

I felt exactly the same!!

I didn't start with complete locomotives of course.  Simple parts to start with, moving into things like semaphore signals, graduating to wagons and then to locomotives.  At each step you learn something and accumulate little innovations and tricks you can use in subsequent projects.  There are lessons in the things that don't work so well too.

As with castings and prints, I do etching for others as well.  It's quite useful for me to do small outside projects as they can fill up space on sheets to make the process more viable.

In the hubris of my youth, I did of course start with a locomotive! The sheet of etchings looked smashing, but in reality it was just a collection of parts that was almost impossible to build. For the second generation of etchings I did my homework and learned te basics of folding lines, tap/slots connections and indexing holes. Using these concepts I was able to make a decent kit that could be built with reasonable effort. A third generation of etchings was made after discovering that using two different sheet thicknesses (0.3mm and 0,5mm) would be benficial.

I really encourage people that still havent tried to design their own etchings to give it a try. And I can think of no one better to work with than Lawrence for a first project.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

A wonderful idea in theory. In practice, though, I'd commission Lawrence to build the whole model for me. Heck, if I had more money, I'd keep him on retainer! -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: finescalerr on May 07, 2024, 01:43:44 PMA wonderful idea in theory. In practice, though, I'd commission Lawrence to build the whole model for me. Heck, if I had more money, I'd keep him on retainer! -- Russ

Thanks for the love, but my productivity would soon disappoint :-)

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Bernhard

This etched plate is a small work of art in itself.

Bernhard

Barney

Another one that takes your breath away - big time
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson