• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Scratchbuilt warehouse in H0

Started by Hauk, August 24, 2012, 01:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

The stairs look excellent. The hand is out of scale. -- Russ

Hydrostat

How did you build it? Did you use a jig for the stairs? For H0 scale it looks very good to me.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on November 03, 2013, 12:52:12 PM
How did you build it? Did you use a jig for the stairs? For H0 scale it looks very good to me.

Volker

I  used a very simple jig for the stairs. Here is a an image taken during construction:

On a smooth surface I drew some parallel lines, and one line with the angle of the stair (a little less than 45 deg.) across. Using double sided tape I attached one stringer along this line. Close to the stringer I taped a piece of steel with the Sam thickness as the stringer. On top of this piece of metal I taped down a length go double sided tape. Then I started to glue down the steps. I used pieces of styrene channel as spacers. These were held I place by the two sided tape. The steps were aligned by eye using the parallel lines as guides.

A bit crude, but it worked Ok.

A thing that really helps when using white glue for joing wood is pre-glueing. I always prepare the surfaces to be joined with diluted white glue. After this dries, I use full-strength glue for the joints.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Really nice work, especially for such a small scale.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

chester

Those stairs sure are on the up and up. Nice job.

BKLN

The stairs look great, but I question the use of wood vs. styrene. I think the wood grain is just too dominant at this scale.
Don't get me wrong, I just think that the material doesn't match your level of craftsmanship.

Christian

Hauk

Quote from: BKLN on November 04, 2013, 06:13:49 AM
The stairs look great, but I question the use of wood vs. styrene. I think the wood grain is just too dominant at this scale.
Don't get me wrong, I just think that the material doesn't match your level of craftsmanship.

Christian

Interesting point! The wood does indeed look rather fuzzy in cruel closeups

But I still think wood is the best choice, as the rest of the building is wood. And I think a little exaggeration for the weathering, grain, etc is OK for a building that is going to be placed on a large layout. It is a slight element of cariacature that is not entirely out of character for the context.

And I like working with wood because of the speed and ease when it comes to coloring and weathering. I also went to the "same material for model as prototype"-school back in the days...
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Junior

Really neat work Hauk!

Okay, I can see some fuzz on the wood which is possible to get rid off (no need to go into details here) but not at this stage and as you said for a layout....who will notice. Fantastic work and design for HO scale or any other scale.

Anders

BKLN

Hauk,
I see that you are very comfortable working with wood, so it's seems to be the right choice. ( I have no doubt that you could have built the whole building out of brass, after seeing your excellent locos )

Building models has a lot to do with the medium and the tools. We use what we are comfortable with. Personally, I never really got into working with wood, only because I didn't have the right resources for what I wanted to do. I am a plastic guy.

Regardless, this is a very nice project. I am still waiting for the aerial trolley / haengebahn.  ;)

glaskasten

Hauk,

You write that the gutter is eched brass.   

Where did you get the etches for the gutter?  How were these etches bent and painted?
Have you thought about using thin fuze wire wrapped around the down pipe?   Mount these to the building wall.  This is used to hold handrails to locomotives.  The fuze wire would be nearly invisible.

I read back through the thread concerning the roof.   I live in the North East USA.  I have been inside many old building and barns.  Most roofs start to sag when the foundation decays and the base sills of first floor beams start to rot and  structure sags.  Barns and old homes did not have good foundations  The only other reason is the roof starts to leak and the subfloors and joists start to decay at the upper floors.  Keep a roof and foundation  tight and the structure will last a long time. 

Paul

Hauk

Quote from: glaskasten on February 07, 2014, 02:13:10 PM

Where did you get the etches for the gutter?  How were these etches bent and painted?
Have you thought about using thin fuze wire wrapped around the down pipe?   Mount these to the building wall.  This is used to hold handrails to locomotives.  The fuze wire would be nearly invisible.

I got them from a swedish company called Teknobygg:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb616757/

They make a lot of nice detail castings and kits in different scales.

The etches are already bent when you buy them, but they need to be straightened a bit. I insert  a 1mm diameter pianowire into the gutter, and use a pair of pliers with broad, smooth jaws to press the gutter snugly against the wire. The gutters are painted with Tamiya grey fine surface primer. Then a dark brown wash from Mig products. I finish with some pigment powder. Nothing fancy, in other words!
Regards, Hauk
--

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

I love it when HO modeling looks that good. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

okiecrip

gary wise