• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The HO Scale Project From Hell

Started by finescalerr, September 01, 2023, 03:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

As some vaguely may recall, last December (2022) I began work on an HO scale model of the Southern Pacific depot at Goleta, California. I had taken photos back in 1991 and finally started drawing plans in 2-D CAD a mere 32 years later. My photos lacked some minor details so I had to do a lot of research and download more photos from the Internet. The drawing took a couple of months to complete and required many minor revisions after I began building. Construction began in February of this year. I finished the model last Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at about 1:30 p.m.

Since 1991 most of my modeling has been in 1:48 scale so why HO? First, it's a big structure in HO, about 20 inches end to end, and we have little space to store or display models. Second, I have a lot of HO scale SP locos and rolling stock but none in a larger scale. Finally, a former contributor, Ed Morris, wanted me to design an HO kit for each of us, an idea he soon regretted after realizing how clumsy I am at kit design and hearing about the aggravating problems I encountered over the next half year as I fumbled along.

finescalerr

If you count test builds, I must have designed, redesigned, built, and rebuilt the depot at least five times. The second to the last time I had erected the walls and was test fitting a laser cut roof panel when a piece of charcoal fell onto the rear of the freight section and indelibly stained it. In disgust I built the whole damned thing again.

But that was after my laser broke for the second time, conveniently a couple of weeks after the warranty expired. (Why do you think that piece of charcoal occurred?) I spent all of April arguing with the less than honest and more than greedy American distributor, finally told him to jump in a lake, and appealed directly to the manufacturer in Australia. The owner has integrity, sent replacement parts, and assigned his tech rep to instruct me via e-mail in testing and replacing parts. That took another three weeks. Construction resumed late in May.

The result is the wood and cardstock structure you see in the photos. It is 100% scratchbuilt from the photos to the plans to the doors, walls, trim, windows, shingles, chimney, and ladder leaning against the rear freight house wall.

Lawrence@NZFinescale

it'll be OK once you add a bit of grime :-)
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

So there it is, as accurate a model of the Goleta depot as you are likely to find and a model that makes me seriously question my sanity. Especially since I live in a region, thanks to climate change, now notorious for the likelihood of a massive brush fire. That means the original 1:1 scale Goleta depot, from 1904, well may outlast my miniature version.

Any questions? Just ask.

Russ

finescalerr

Lawrence, please feel free to stand in the corner. Illustrated instructions attached. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

I'm working on a building myself just now.

The building itself has been relatively painless, but the addition of grime has been a bit more exhausting.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

I built my depot "as new" because all the early photos show it in good shape. I think it's the only "as new" model I've built. Besides, weathering takes more time than building and I'm fed up with this project. So there! -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Design-HSB

Russ, I'm totally OK with building a model in pristine condition.  Because it's about building a model as close as possible to reality and if we look around in reality, there are more accurate buildings than ramshackle decaying ones.  Also, it's normal for a perfect goal to work things out and learn along the way.  You will certainly have learned a lot and will be able to take this into account in the next model.  I'm still learning and build some model parts more than once.  So I just built parts of a dump truck unloading device up to 5 times until it finally worked satisfactorily.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

TRAINS1941

It's looks great from here!!!!

Well done Unc.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Sami

Russ, your work is spectacular ! You did well to persevere

finescalerr

Barney

Very neat stuff - with fine workmanship
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson