• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Something like a Diorama

Started by Gordon Ferguson, May 10, 2010, 04:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Well it is a model... of sorts.

Due to work I have had no real chance to do any modelling for almost 3 months, however on Friday night got frantic phone call from my youngest son who finishing of his architecture degree ...... you all know the type of call "Dad, your not busy at the moment are you I need some help............."

This I believe is called a site model, approx 1/200 scale all the grey building are polystyrene, the only awkward bit was that one of his building (the white ones) need to have a  floating mesh outer skin - which I think is meant to be real life some form of light inducting concrete??

It won't win any prizes but at least it got me modelling again, only now got to transport a hundred miles to him!
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Couple more
Gordon

marc_reusser

Cool...nice of you to help him one last time....you won't be able to deliver stuff to him so easily much longer.

I remember having to build several of these in the day. I always loved the way they look when made of wood.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

JohnP

I'm pleased to see architecture students still need to work in the physical world for ideas and modeling. I thought by now it was all done with the computer.

John
John Palecki

Ray Dunakin

Interesting. What did you use for the mesh?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Marc,

If I had the time it would have been made of wood although not ,as I'm sure would be the case if you had done it, with the grain patterns matching across all the pieces.

John,

You should have seen all the CAD drawings he sent me!, although to be fair he has also built about six large scale detailed subsections of the buildings showing specific details. Think over the 3 years of the course he must have built about 60 models so its still a real part of the degree.

Ray,

Its expanded aluminium mesh, used in fibre glass repair kits .... in the UK available from Halfords. Advantage & disadvantage its easily formed and cut with a knife but its very soft and malleable. I drew out the exploded form in 2D, cut to size and then folded it up and tied corners with 5 amp fuse wire.
Gordon

marc_reusser

Nicely done...the ties dont even show!

Marc

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Project for the last week or so & reason why no progress has been posted on Mixer, etc

1/100 scale model of submission for boatyard in Venice, shaped to fit into existing location ............ grey roof only temporary as final design still being worked on.
Gordon

marc_reusser

Very nice. I like the forms and massing. What are the white bits/mass between the structures?
Can you post any drawings or schematics of this project...would be interested in seeing them?
What type of wood is being used for the slatted outer skin? Is there an inner surface (such as glass or masonry) behind the slats? (assuming offices and workshops would need protection from the elements)
How does the wood from the woodpile get into the shop?

Marc

M-Works

chester

And to add one more question to what is a very crisp looking build, What is the reason behind the slatted roof on the long narrow structure?

Gordon Ferguson

Marc, Chester

OK chaps you have to bare in mind that I am only the "oik" who assembled the model, its my youngest son who - hopefully will be the architect.

So the answers are from my own knowledge, he's in the middle of some exams and I don't want to bother him at the moment.

Marc, answers in descending order from the questions

"white mass" is a concrete office/design block, if you saw model in real life you would be able to see that it was cast in a wood former to provide a timber texture.

Drawings, will post some schematics later, will send you a sketchup drawing which will let you do the walk thro'

Materials , I don't know apart from it is a "sustainable" hardwood cladding.

& not sure about inner skin.

The "wood pile" you are referring to is another office on stilts to reflect the Venice theme - the ends of which are finished in such a way to mirror the other real wood piles that would/will exist at the location.

Chester the slatted roof on the longs building is as I understand it a covering to disguise all the heating, air con, generators in one half of the building and there is an internal workshop/office as a self contained unit in there as well
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Couple of drawings which may help
Gordon