• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Remora Island

Started by shropshire lad, June 10, 2012, 09:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Right , let's see if anyone is paying attention .

I have finally gotten around to take some photos of what I have been getting up to over the last few weeks and to prove that I am not just sitting around drinking Earl Grey and giving out instructions to the estate workers .

I have given myself a deadline of finishing this off by the end of July so that I can get started on my next project , or two , and with what is left to do is perfectly do-able .

I won't say much at the moment ( sounds of cheering all around) but will wait for the flood of a question if it comes !

Nick

shropshire lad

Two more

shropshire lad

Last two

mad gerald

Quote from: shropshire lad on June 10, 2012, 09:45:47 AM
Right , let's see if anyone is paying attention
I won't say much at the moment ( sounds of cheering all around) but will wait for the flood of a question if it comes !

... well, I expected at least a selection of Yes songs while presenting your latest progress ...  ;D ... (putting my cup of Special Gunpowder away) ...

I really like your Diorama and am wondering what there should be left to do? Looks the part to me. I'd like to know what kind of tubs you used. Are they scratch built? metal? And what gauge is it? And where did the track lead to back then ... apart from "over the edge" ...?

Cheers

danpickard

G'day Nick,
I quite like where this is at as far as a different idea for the scene, it's rather a unique and novel approach to setting the scene for the whole flying boat thing.  The mine skip hanging from the edge is pretty cool, and kind of makes you follow down the underside of the island as the eyes wander over it.  I like the mine entrance as well, nice iron. 

The only thing I would maybe do different would be the tree up top...feels like it should either be bigger, or more of them, or just a foliaged piece, which I think mighjt make the balance of the scene feel a bit more comfortable.  There is a lot of "weight" in the underside of the island, and I feel there just needs to be a bit more height up top.

Question then...is it nice a light and carved in foam, of is it 30 bags of plaster poured as one massive paper weight?

Cheers,
Dan

lab-dad

I just watched Avatar for the first time so this kinda reminds me of the floating islands in the movie.
I guess there is little or no gravity; otherwise the skips would have tumbled into the abyss long ago.
The coloring and foliage are quite nice, I too agree the tree needs to have more foliage.
Where are the people? or inhabitants? Eradicated by the military for unobtainium?.....
Cpl. Jonezy

chester

For a fantasy piece, it's showing a huge amount of reality. Wonderful foliage and rust effects.

Ray Dunakin

Looking good so far. Good job on the crusty ore cars, are they made from some kind of food tins? The one hanging over the side is a nice touch.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Quote from: shropshire lad on June 10, 2012, 09:45:47 AM
Right , let's see if anyone is paying attention .

Oh crap, are we suppose to pay attention now?   8)

Cool stuff!  Dig the ore cars falling off the island and the overall look ... tending to agree with the others about more foliage at this point ... but look forward to whatever else it is you might have in mind here.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

billmart

Fantastic job.  It's all great, but I particularly like the "eaten-through" look of the ore car tubs.  Very impressive.

Bill Martinsen

TRAINS1941

Nick

A great job on the ore cars.  Just a really awesome scene.  My opinion keep doing what your doing!!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Barney

Great stuff with a big WOW!! It seems to grow by the day - So what's next how can you possibly top this one
Barney

LeOn3

Nick,

this looks great. I was wondering what you should do with your island. But the mine entrance is a nice touch on this. I hope there will be some inhabitants? in my opinion that will complete the diorama.

Leon

Wesleybeks

Fantastic work Nick. Your foliage and vegetation is by far the best I've seen.

In my personal opinion I'd leave the people off. I like the deserted look and feel that is portrayed without them.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

finescalerr

It should make a nice addition to your switching layout. -- Russ