• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

laws california gallows turntable

Started by madmike3434, January 24, 2011, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike3434

Here are 4 pictures of an O scale laws california turntable that is scratch built. It has a 24 stop position digital control motor.

The 2-6-0 On30 engine is a bachmann originally painted christmas colours of red & green..  I pried off all the brass coloured engine piping and repainted the loco in engine black and weathered black , slightly weathering it.  I also added a precision scale tool boxes, big stack. I also managed to acquire a vacumn tank on the boiler .  The Backshop brass deer antlers were applied to headlight. Converted the tender to oil using a resin kit from somebody , plus scratch built a hose and reel system on the deck.

mike

madmike3434

madmike3434

madmike3434

Frederic Testard

Very nice, Mike. So you only relied on the spider mechanism to rotate the table?
Frederic Testard

madmike3434

yes the electrical mechanism rotates the turntable.  It is digitally commanded thru a telephone cord and rotator.  I hooked it up and made it run a few times then left it sit on top of a cabinet in the living room. Where it has stayed till this day.

A thin flat metal bar is soldered to a round metal bar, which attaches to the turntable itself, it drops down thru a larger, next 1/64th size,  metal pipe and is centered with set screws , so that everything rotates flatly. If a set screw is not used on either side of the shaft,  it will not rotate flat to the surface. You get a wobble as its going around. Took some thinking & head scratching to figure out what i did wrong.

This was built about 5-6 years ago , so some of the details are sketchy.
mike

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World