• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Same old tune

Started by Chuck Doan, March 30, 2007, 12:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macsair

Quote from: Chuck Doan on March 30, 2007, 12:47:37 PM

Haven't had much time for modelling lately...still re-working the die cast bits.

CD
Beautiful work my friend, kinda makes me wanna trash my stuff and take up basket weaving...............Mac McCalla

John McGuyer

Mac!
Do you see now why I was bugging you to come look at this stuff? We've got some learning to do.
John

Nurser

Mac, when I were nobbut a lad I did quite a lot of basket weaving.  Gave me cheap Christmas presents for grannies and Mum.  She still has them 45 years later!  Then I discovered modelmaking.  Chuck's stuff IS lovely , ain't it?  I like the way it looks like he almost doesn't care. It just rolls off his thumbs.
Hector

John McGuyer

Hector
You speak of basket weaving, I must tell this story. You mentioned you knew Lloyd Asbury and his incredible model building. Well, many years back Lloyd was into WW1 fighter planes. He built them wood for wood, metal for metal. Turns out the plane he was modeling had a woven wicker seat. So there sits Lloyd at the workbench, he has found some long grass and he is trying to weave a model wicker seat. It was quite a model. I believe it is now in a collection in San Diego.
John

Chuck Doan

THanks for the nice words. Somewhere out there I saw a wicker seat being made for a WW1 airplane...1/16th is a common aircraft model scale too.

Bill, I have been using the JB for building up surfaces on the metal parts too. It sands very somooth and can make sharp edges, etc. The drying time does require some careful planning though.

Chuck
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

Some progress:

Working on the gas tank and radiator now:

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

TRAINS1941

My God Chuck you have just set the standard for anyone who ever builds a tractor.
The more I look at your work the more I shake my head in total amazement.
Your talent is beyond words!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Thanks Jerry!

Here is my hopefull plan for the radiator. Fins from .002 Mylar, tube spacer from laser cut clear .010 mylar. Still in the testing stage, we shall see! (standby for plan C)

Fin/spacer assy

The core assy

finescalerr

Thanks for making my day, Chuck! -- Russ

marc_reusser

Beautiful Chuck! 

I am really interested to see how this compares with Mart'ys radiator.

Since the spacers are solid, I am assuming, that you won't be able to see "daylight" between the fins?

Did Tom cut these parts for you? How clean did the Mylar cut?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Thanks Marc And Russ!

I am thinking the clear Mylar spacer will potentially allow a ?see thru? effect, and I will just paint the tube ?bumps?. All has still to be proven as Tom didn?t have .010 Mylar. I have some on the way, hopefully this will work!

If for some reason I have to give up the see thru, I won?t be unhappy. The Fordson core was quite thick, and out of the hundreds of pics I have collected for reference, maybe only 2 show any hint of light peeking thru, and these were taken square on.

If all else fails, on to Plan 9!

RoughboyModelworks

Interesting idea Chuck. How are you planning to register or align all the separate layers?

Bill

Chuck Doan

Probably some simple tooling that I will butt everything up against. Notches were considered, but we'll see if the part can be made. Crossed fingers....

RoughboyModelworks

Since you're planning to have the spacer pieces laser cut, could you not have a couple of holes laser cut in the middle of the stock in-line with the "bumps" for alignment pins? Then you'd just have to stack the pieces in order by dropping them over the pins. Just a thought....

Bill