• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New York Street Scene

Started by Joel Freedman, November 22, 2014, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Freedman

Hi Everyone,
I have been following this forum for years but this is my first post. I am so inspired by all your amazing work. I am no where near your level of proficiency but I do have a certain passion for the art form and a will to improve. Some of you may know a bit of my work, particularly Don, Nick and Karl.
I used to work exclusively in HO scale an example of which is Brett's Cove - created using 4 or 5 SierraWest kits.

Joel Freedman

Then I tried some O scale models about 2 or three years back and I was hooked on the level of detail one could achieve.

Ray Dunakin

Welcome aboard, Joel! Your work looks pretty good to me!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

Great work, Joel,

When I see some fine model building from someone I don't know it makes me wonder who else might be out there doing great work.

Thanks for sharing.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Joel Freedman

Thanks for the kind remarks. This year I have decided to change things up from my typical backwoods scene to an urban street scene. I saw Randy Hage's 1/12 scale model of This storefront and knew I wanted to model it. My goals are to create this scene with the bicycle,, an alley next to the restaurant, a car or truck and maybe a streetcar out front. I looked at O scale but it seemed really small to detail and I really couldn't find a good bicycle (don't know why that detail is important but I'm clinging to it). I saw a kit for a tram in 1/35 and there are some good detail parts available as well as figures so I've decided to put it all together and make my first 1/35 scale model. Oh one last thing for some reason I thing it should be a winter scene with some snow, slush, ice and icicles dripping off the fire escapes. I've never tried modelling winter (except when I was 12 and used white felt for snow) so this will be just a bit more than a challenge. Hopefully there are those out there who can lend a bit of guidance. Or maybe a shovel...

finescalerr

May I suggest you model something similar to Randy's diorama but different? If you try to model somebody else's model, yours may prove not only second best but also possibly a caricature. On the other hand if you choose or create your own unique subject nobody can make a direct comparison. You have a distinctive style; why not apply it to a distinctive model? -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Hey Joel

Welcome aboard.  I've seen your work many times at the shows.

You've done some really nice scenes.  I'm sure this one will be just as good if not better.

Russ does have a good point there you have always gone a step farther with your models maybe you should do something a little different with this project.

Will be glad to follow along.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Welcome! It will be interesting to see how your new project develops.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Joel Freedman

Well it has officially started. A bit of cheating really. I found a good photo of the shop on line and spent an hour or two photoshopping out the ladder, lights and shadows. Then printed it and built a styrene frame quickly aged with craft paints and rust streaks from AK.

Next I'll start on the storefront. A bit leery about it and at the same time excited. Anybody have a good method of making the windows look a bit dirty but transparent like Mr. Doan does brilliantly? I'll probably put a touch of frost on the bottom corners and maybe there will be a bit of condensation on the top edge (from the humidity indoors). I may be spending a bit too much time detailing what is in effect a 4 story backround building.

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

Your off to a good start.

Joel I would just drop Chuck a PM and ask him how he does the windows.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Joel Freedman

I haven't been idle but not sure about showing progress to date. I have never built using styrene before but the storefront calls for it so here we go. i enlarged the photograph until I had a copy that was almost exactly 1/35 ( the florescent bulbs were 4 feet long). Then I just measured off the picture and glued the pieces together. I used a pin for the door handle.

I also made the pipe between the two doors out of a piece of brass wire wrapped with tape. Paint/chalk/dullcote

marc_reusser

Welcome Joel,

Nice time-line of work.

Looks like the new project is off to a great start. look forward to seeing where it goes.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

I like the rust and crud on that standpipe.

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

Thanks Ray.
Big admirer of your work. Now I know what that pipe is called! Been busy this weekend. Painted up the storefront and added the first layer of signs and details. Too bad the condensation ( a mist of gloss acrylic) hides the work on the fluorescents and neon sign. I'll try to take a better picture when we get some serious sun. Still have the electrical to do and the rest of the window dressing.