• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Tried cutting the "crust" off some laser bread ... and it looked like french fries!  Bad news for the customers who wanted the crust cut off their bread ... good news for the folks coming in for hamburgers!  ;D

If you notice the big honkin' hair stickin' off that sammich, you won't have any trouble figuring out why it's only half-eaten ... oh joys of miniature photography!  8)

Significant progress in the back corner ... have to paint a little soap dispenser (already made!) to go to the right of the sink, then that's just about it.  The white styrene strip was a place holder for the magnetic knife rack (also made, but not finished) ... I'm gonna take Carlo's suggestion and move that up front ... (thanks, Carlo!)  ;)

All this stuff is in the "way, way back" of the place ... behind the stove ... which is behind a little prep counter ... which is behind the main counter and ice cream freezer, so I'm thinkin' that's just about good enough for that stuff.  Next up:  light the vent hood and detail the stove top!  "Hambugga, hambugga, cheeps, cheeps ... no Coke, Pepsi!"  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

Ewww there's a sandwich in my hair!

Looks great Dallas-terrific details.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Junior

As usual.....entertaining and great imagination  ;D!

Anders

Max Corey

Dallas.

You still might want to come up with a way to get clean edges on your plates.  You can buy hole stamp sets that have small sizes and, if you use a piece of soft aluminum as a cutting board and a mallet... presto.  Well, some of the hole cutters in my set give very clean edges and others not so good, so results may vary.  The kinds of hole punches that have a set of dies (male and female) tend to leave a jagged edge or spot (paper punch) and most leather punches I have tried leave the edge kinda rough.  Perhaps laser cut?

Cool details, particularly the sandwich.   But it breaks the good news/bad news rule.   The bad news is the food is not that good.  The good news is there is plenty of it.   Guess you just gotta be a 1/35 scale patron.
A screw up on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.

BKLN

It's good to see the kitchen getting a little messier! But the sink really needs a sponge / rag or some sort of cleaning stuff!

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Max Corey on September 27, 2013, 03:42:08 AM
You still might want to come up with a way to get clean edges on your plates.  You can buy hole stamp sets that have small sizes and, if you use a piece of soft aluminum as a cutting board and a mallet... presto.  Well, some of the hole cutters in my set give very clean edges and others not so good, so results may vary.  The kinds of hole punches that have a set of dies (male and female) tend to leave a jagged edge or spot (paper punch) and most leather punches I have tried leave the edge kinda rough.  Perhaps laser cut?

Hi Max --

Thanks!  Yes, the scalloped edges on the plates can be a bit distracting ... especially in the extreme close-ups ...

They are actually photo-etched plates made with scalloped edges ... the set is made by Eduard and pre-colored as shown above ...

The colors in the Eduard set seemed a little too "girly" for this app, so I painted them all white, printed decals and decaled them all ... I also "stamped" them all in a homemade press to give a little more relief to the somewhat flat PE pieces, which served to make a few of the scallops go wonky here and there ... and if you've ever sat down and had a conversation with a scallop, you'll note that they're not all that stable to begin with, but quite delicious when properly cooked ... oops, meandering there  ... so I've tried to place them with the wonkiest scallops away from view ... but, as always, there's always something!

Scalloped plates with red stripes do occur in nature ...  ;D

And, while those scalloped edges will continue to be a bit distracting in the extreme close-ups ... I think as the whole place comes together with (much more) foreground stuff, figures and so forth, the plates will simply read as plates and the "action" in the place will be sufficiently interesting to allow the plates to become background items!

Now, all this isn't to "defend" against the wonky plate critique ... (you are right, they can be distracting) ... all critiques are quite welcome & appreciated ... many are put to use ... however, some items will just fall into a bit of a compromise category ... and in this case, I can live with the wonky little scallop plates!  Mmm ... scallops.  Quite literally, I have neither the time nor the talent to "perfect" everything ... however, I'm pretty well convinced that I can put it all together in away that makes a rather pleasing scene (more along the lines of an effective theatre set than a Chuck Doan diorama!) ... so that will be the actual goal here!   8)

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

Quote from: BKLN on September 27, 2013, 06:02:39 AM
It's good to see the kitchen getting a little messier! But the sink really needs a sponge / rag or some sort of cleaning stuff!

Thanks, Christian!  I painted a little soap dispenser last night ... will have to take a shot at making a little sponge or rag and see how that goes!

Cheers,
Dallas