• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franck Tavernier

A real piece of jewelery!  :P

Franck

fspg2

@Chuck, Franck:  Thanks for your replies.

The round top seat for the checker plate cover of the float shaft consists of two machined brass rings.

Schwimmer_50 (fspg2)

Some boards will cover the inspection chamber later.

Schwimmer_48 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_49 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_51 (fspg2)

Now only a few drawings. They are intended to show how it goes on next.

Schacht-Abdeckung_001 (fspg2)

Schacht-Abdeckung_002 (fspg2)

Schacht-Abdeckung_003_jpg (fspg2)

Frithjof

marc_reusser

Cool. Now I am waiting to see you build those towers on each side!  ;D ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Yes!  This does look interesting ... looking forward to more!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Franck Tavernier

Awesome ! 3D drawings are a good help for scratbuilding...

Franck

fspg2

@ Marc, Dallas, Franck,
Thanks for your comments!

Originally I had the idea to raise the bridge with two small spindle drives of former digital scan backs (1991).

Plexiglass_schlitzen_05 (fspg2)

However, the stroke distance is only about 4cm - but I need 8cm.

Recently I received a few rods, ball cages, bearings and threaded rods from a colleague. They were installed into large TV zoom cameras in the middle of 1980 years.

alte_Kamerafuehrungen (fspg2)

These parts have exactly the right dimensions.

The two guides of the old digital scan back were replaced by the new longer rods meanwhile. In addition I have drilled the holes of 6mm to 8mm diameter and adjusted the guide rods with 2mm socket head screws, as well as the upper aluminum plate was milled for a new ball bearing. The bearings on the ball cages now have a lift height of about 9cm - more than I need!

Hubmechanismus_01 (fspg2)

Hubmechanismus_02 (fspg2)

Only the spindle pole needs to be shortened by a colleague.

Temporary attempts to operate the cylinder with pneumatic were unfortunately unsuccessful. Pneumatic certainly has its charm!
To raise and lower the lift cylinders uniformly and slowly, have been unsuccessful with compressed air.
I was able run quite uniform the hub (with 2kg load), but there was some jerkiness when lowering. No matter how I adjusted the valves, it was not satisfactory.
So I will pursue the spindle rod solution instead compressed air. You can follow a disussion at bbf forum.

I hope to get the threaded rods shortened soon accordingly so that I can implement the following animation into the model.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_01 (fspg2)

A 6 mm circular aluminum plate will be raised and lowered by the spindle unit. The float tank becomes seated on the edge of the aluminum plate grooves. So I have a uniform support. The small wheels on top will not have to endure great loads.
Frithjof

fspg2

Today only a few pictures of the production of the 6mm aluminum plate. These will serve as a carrier for the lift cylinder.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_02 (fspg2)

Fixed up with Gudy 831 on to a MDF board, the 6mm aluminum plate got four 2mm holes . 2mm wire pins were plugged into those. Thereafter, recesses are milled for all the rods, which will pass through the plate later.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_03 (fspg2)

After that the plate was rotated to the backside. The four pins helped to put the plate to there position correctly.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_04 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_05 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_06 (fspg2)

Now all we need is the shortened spindle rod for final assembly.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_07 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Ho-hum, another example of a genius at work .... -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: finescalerr on June 16, 2013, 12:35:17 AM
Ho-hum, another example of a genius at work .... -- Russ

Very true, but at least one of the holding screws is not straight ........ That makes me feel a little less overawed at the standard of craftsmanship and expertise
Gordon

Mr Potato Head

Normally I am on the opposite side of Russ's opinion , but What the F!@# who the hell are you some mad scientist?
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

danpickard

Wonderful precision engineering.  Simply brilliant to be able to watch this entire project be created. 
Definitely the opposite end of the spectrum, when compared to the "usual" model railway approach to this mechanism, which might be more like a few scraps of MDF and some string pulleys  ;D

Cheers,
Dan

artizen

Said it before - say it again - A...R...T   !!!!!!!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

Brilliant work, as usual!

But I'm a bit distracted by those bearing cages, or whatever they are, which you borrowed from an old digital scanner. I keep wondering, how the heck did they get all those ball bearings in their places??

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

michael mott

QuoteVery true, but at least one of the holding screws is not straight ........ That makes me feel a little less overawed at the standard of craftsmanship and expertise

Now Gordon! you have to realize that that screw was carefully placed at that angle to counteract the torques involved while trying to hold the beer can in the other hand..sheeesh I thought that was obvious!

Brilliant work on re purposing those linear bearings. Great 3D drawings as well.

Michael

fspg2

Thank you for your interest and kind words! I think the whole thing is just simple craft and the best diversion from work - just hobby :-)

Something for everyone:

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_05b (fspg2)

Angled screw .... without screw .... straight screw :-)

Today I got back the spindle rods from my colleague – correct length now: 145mm.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_08 (fspg2)

It lacks the two lateral L-profiles at the image.

Frithjof