• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Volker, Yes, I understand completely what you said about being nearly impossible to align both foils to create the exact offset that you want. I once worked with a prototype of a very simple plotter that cut self adhesive vinyl film for signs and projects like you described. I think you have the steady hand to be able to paint in those 'conjunctions' on your sign. Perhaps a little masking tape on the outside of the connecting corners will help.

Ray Dunakin

I'm surprised that such small lettering can be cut out of foil for use as a stencil. I didn't think that such fine details could be achieved that way. I'll have to look into this as it would be very useful for my models as well.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: Bill Gill on March 22, 2019, 11:10:07 AM
Volker, Yes, I understand completely what you said about being nearly impossible to align both foils to create the exact offset that you want. I once worked with a prototype of a very simple plotter that cut self adhesive vinyl film for signs and projects like you described. I think you have the steady hand to be able to paint in those 'conjunctions' on your sign. Perhaps a little masking tape on the outside of the connecting corners will help.

Bill, thanks again. I added the connecting corners and it looks much better now.

Opposite side with larger offset (mistake in the first foil, but it doesn't matter):

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 22, 2019, 08:47:24 PM
I'm surprised that such small lettering can be cut out of foil for use as a stencil. I didn't think that such fine details could be achieved that way. I'll have to look into this as it would be very useful for my models as well.

I think the only limitation is the tiny pieces to remain on the carrier paper, for example within the 'e'-letter, which tend to come off when removing the positive parts. There's always a tiny stretch of length not being cut, which doesn't matter, if the parts are a little bit bigger. I wouldn't use that for a locomotive livery, but it works for those hand made signs. It's helpful to use a new blade in the cutting machine.

There's a final weathering to come when the building is finished and some touchup of blemishes. It doesn't make sense at that point.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

hi Volker
the Alpina looks really good such a traditional looking sign.
all the best Kim.

Hydrostat

Some new stuff - everything work in progress, predominantly cardboard aside of the printed parts.

A kitchen cabinet:

A toilet:

A showcase, completely cut by hand:

Some shelfs, laser cut:

An old cooking stove, laser cut and edges sanded:

The tableware:

My friend Uwe printed some 1-22.5 scale dishes from my files. We wanted to test a prototypical 0.2 mm wall thickness (old pottery). He gave me an unbelievable amount of cups ... the pic doesn't even show half of it ...

Dishes mounted to removable sticky tape for spray painting.

Obviously I forgot to do the dishes beforehand.

Oh well, that's what it looked like before, at least stove and shelfs.

About photography: setup for the first picture of this post.

Cheers,
Volker

Bill Gill

What a great batch of many interior details! How did you clean up and finish all those little cups and plates. They look just like 'institutional grade' glazed pottery.

Hydrostat

Quote from: Bill Gill on April 26, 2019, 01:35:56 PM
How did you clean up and finish all those little cups and plates.

It's printed with an ANYCUBIC Photon straight on the base plate. There's no cleanup and finishing necessary, just cleaning in isopropyl alcohol.

Design-HSB

HI Volker,

my wife just told me I absolutely would have to write to you. Because her mother had such a kitchen cupboard and she is very fascinated.

Also from me absolutely succeeded your work and with that you have once again put the bar a little higher for us.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Hydrostat

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Great stuff! I'm amazed at how smooth the dishes are. I think that's the best quality 3D printing I've seen yet.

Ray Dunakin's World