• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Salt Marsh

Started by marc_reusser, December 07, 2012, 08:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

That little SBS is worth publishing. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on December 28, 2012, 03:03:30 PM

If only there were a half decent magazine around that could do it justice . Any suggestions , anyone ?

finescalerr

Nick, go stand in the corner. And don't come out until next year. -- ssuR

marc_reusser

Quote from: shropshire lad on December 28, 2012, 03:58:23 PM
Quote from: finescalerr on December 28, 2012, 03:03:30 PM

If only there were a half decent magazine around that could do it justice . Any suggestions , anyone ?

Yeah, too bad Russ publishes "books" and not a magazine.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

As Andi has been"nicely stirring the pot" elswhere here is a little taster  .... it also lets me check something else  ;)

Gordon

5thwheel

Like the rusted hull look but that rudder is way too nice and clean. I think it should be really rotted and there should be very little of it left if it were to match the hull rust.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

marc_reusser

Quote from: 5thwheel on January 06, 2013, 03:33:03 PM
Like the rusted hull look but that rudder is way too nice and clean. I think it should be really rotted and there should be very little of it left if it were to match the hull rust.

I have to agree with Bill here; looks like somone recently purchased this and stuck it on. Also...don't forget the bolt heads securing the strapping to through the wood....or if rotted and missing wood...the loose exposed bolt shaft, or the hole in the strap where it used to be.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Bill, Marc, thanks and I agree !

In my defence this was part of an e-mail I had sent to someone  ;)  yesterday

"Cruelly blown up , need to replace that bit of wood on the gunwale, that kink its driving me nuts ............ early days for the rudder"
Gordon

marc_reusser

Boy...tough audience....slack off for a day, and get keel-hauled.  ;D ;D 

Just for that.....your seats planks need weathering too.  :P ;D  ;D

M-Works

Barney

To me its ultimate rust and grot - did I here the word "finish"
Barney

Gordon Ferguson

Barney ,absolutely no need to use the F word around here , some of us are still under sixty so have not heard of that sort of language before.

Now, I played around with existing rudder to see how decrepit I could make it ......... ended liking the colouring but grain/wear a bit out of the Walt Disney book so it will get changed.

on my monitor that image is about 4 times actual size and close up reveals more work to be done on rust around stern post
Gordon

marc_reusser

I expect to see Johnny Depp peering around the rudder any minute.  ;D  ;D

M-Works

BKLN

You guys have chosen a very difficult subject and I am amazed by the result. Excellent work!

Gordon Ferguson

OK, Mk II rudder

I have found it challenging, to balance a more accurate representation with the want to emphasise the message of "rot". This one still has a feel(slight?) of caricature but I hope still stays on the side of scale representation.

I have no doubts I will be told one way or the other   :) 
Gordon

Mobilgas

Gordon,  My thoughts  on the wood rudder is this  ;)...being the boat is so rotten there should be no wood LEFT.  Just model the metal that held all the wood together.
Craig