• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Taco

Started by marc_reusser, February 06, 2010, 03:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

This is probably not something that will be appearing in Russ's mag anytime soon..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is a "recast" kit that I picked up on ebay, from a guy I was ordering a bunch of 1/35 parts from.  I bought it because I have always thought it was a neat kit, and it would be a quick, and fun build.........but I should have known better.....I had no idea I was buying a recast....nor the issues that came with it.

The Whole top was out of whack...about 2.5mm higher on the left than the right....and about the same front to back.....so the first step was to get the top paralell to the bottom. I fastened the body onto the mill bed from below, and then milled the top down.

I felt the part was still too heavy for what I planned, so I also hollowed out much of the interior (thus reducing the weight by about 1/3) and then did a quick brush paint of the inside with some Floquil "Weathered Black". The interior will not be seen, and the hollow depthe will also help with the eventual commanders figure.

The surfaces of all the pieces were quite uneven. I cleaned up and smoothed them out as best I could, and then decided that the finish would be really well suited for a "cast iron" look.  Using a cut-down brush, Mr. Surfacer was stippled onto the surfaces. Once dry, #'0000' steel wool and a fiberglass pencil were used to soften the texture, and create wear areas.

Because there was a lot of textured surface to be done, I decided to intersperse the task by starting to play around with the legs.

This is one of the original resin leg castings (not cleaned-up) lightly tacked together.

...I wasn't really thrilled with the kit legs....so I have decided to build my own. A total of two pair are needed. Below is a prelim  test mock-up in progress. I wanted it to be fully artulated (which it is), so that I can better pose it in the final lanscape/dio. The gray parts are all heavily modified bits and pieces from my scrap boxes. (most are parts from the Dragon Models Pz-1A, while the others are from Dragon Models Pz-IV).

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Just to confuse you guys some more about what the heck this build is.........once I get there,....I am thinking of a paint/color scheme & pattern something along these lines.

MR

M-Works

DaKra

Darn, I was really hoping this thread was going to be about scale model food.   :D   

RoughboyModelworks

OK... I give up.... wtf is it? First Taco with legs I see, I'm gettin out of Taco Bell and not going back... ;D

Paul

finescalerr

Marc, I think you need to start taking your Lithium again ....  -- Russ

jacq01

He is on to one of those SciFi robo things again......... :o 

That is promising as it will have much surface treatement, a lot of painting techniques. But with the anticipated color scheme's it could be just a plain aircraft..........Anyway there will be some nice modelling coming  ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

....ahh the mystery  ;) ;D ;D.

Yes...it will definitely be a painting and finishing challenge. The dio will be a first for me as well......snow.

Here is where I am on the roughing out of the main body. It's still missing several large detail parts (stowage bin, infrared searchlight, armament)...and lots of little detail pieces. The new cupola is modified from a Trumpeter T-52 kit, antenna base is a shock buffer from a Tristar 'Luchs", Brass 2-meter antenna is from Armorscale, exhaust is modified from a Tamiya Pz.-IV, dark grey parts are from a 1/48 Tamiya 'Tiger'.

MR

M-Works

finescalerr

Looks like R2D2 in need of a shave. Lord preserve us from what comes next! -- Russ

Damn Cranky

I like it so far . . . couldn't you get it painted during the Super Bowl? ;D
Crazy About Rust!

Ray Dunakin

And here I thought it was going to be a model of the early 1980's singer of "Puttin' On The Ritz" fame.   ;)

Interesting build so far, Marc!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

....ahh the mystery    .

Yes...it will definitely be a painting and finishing challenge. The dio will be a first for me as well......snow.

"THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX"

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

It looks like the sprinkler head assembly where we repaired a broken pipe on a hillside. Will you add calcification deposits, grime, and rust? Is that a webcam protruding above the hatch? Will the snow be real or a 7-Up snowcone, or will it be cocaine? I hardly can wait. Oh, the anticipation! -- Russ

Damn Cranky

Crazy About Rust!

Mr Potato Head

Geez Marc! you even have Damm Cranky excited!  :o :o :o
I know what it is! I'am just not saying, cause I dont want to spoil the fun.  ;) ;D
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

danpickard

"I didn't want to ruin my record, so I figured why not enter another build/challenge that I probably won't finish."

Sound familiar Marc???

Another interesting start to a project.  Regardless of whether it gets finished or not, its always good to see some of your ideas unfold.  When's that deadline due?

Dan