• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fn3 EBT steel flat # 108

Started by Geoff Ringle, January 26, 2010, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Ringle

Hello,
I have just joined the forum.  Fantastic work is displayed here, I've learned a lot from the sidelines.
I thought I would introduce myself with a shot of an almost completed 1:20.3 project.  EBT steel flat # 108.  This is a typical example of the 22 steel flats built in the EBT shops.  Plans were drawn by J.T. Derr and are available through The Friends of the EBT.
If I get the photo uploading to work I'll add to the post.  Geoff

Chuck Doan

Great looking flat, and nice trucks! Hope to see more.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Welcome Geoff

A great start.  Hope to see more from you.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

John McGuyer

Geoff Ringle

Thanks guys.

The trucks are nice ... they are from Rich Yoder Models, the same ones used on his beautiful brass hoppers.  Couplers are the new Accucraft #1 scale working couplers (which are perfect in 1:20 for the 3/4 size EBT couplers). Frames are a combo of brass, styrene... basswood for the decks.  Cut levers, stirrups, grab irons and plumbing are fabricated in brass.  Poling pockets are cast from a brass master and stake pockets are brass stampings. Glad hands are from Trackside Details. Rivets are individually placed. 

I am still researching the steel strips that ran the length of the deck on each side (to hold down the deck boards). I am not sure of the bolt pattern.  After those are fabricated I'll finish the weathering.

Geoff Ringle

master for pole pocket

Geoff Ringle

die for stake pockets

Geoff Ringle

The cut levers work

Ray Dunakin

Howdy Geoff! Great looking flat!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

SandiaPaul

Very nice flatcar. I tried to build an HO version a few years back but gave up, it was just too small to get the detail I wanted. I spent days on trying to make those stake pockets, I really like your die! Did you have to trim it after stamping it?

Paul
Paul

Geoff Ringle

Paul,
I did not have to trim the stampings top & bottom, but did trim the sides.  That was easier than calculating the material stretch through the bends.  I then used a small template to drill the holes.
Geoff

RoughboyModelworks

Welcome to the forum Geoff... nicely done flat. Looking forward to seeing more.

Paul

Geoff Ringle

Since I had stake pockets & poling pockets in production I decided to build "the fishbelly flat". EBT #73 is the one and only example of a fishbelly design and was the first steel car on the EBT.  Built in 1902, it predated the first steel hoppers by 11 years or so.  73 survived into the 50's, but its final disposition is unknown.  More information and plans by Lee Rainey are in the Winter 1989 FEBT Timber Transfer.  At 33'-7" number 73 is one foot shorter than 108.

lab-dad

Beautiful construction.
I especially like the tools you showed.
Thanks for sharing and joining!
-Marty

Gordon Ferguson

Real craftsmanship .... as there are a few how did you do the rivets , are they individual or stamped in ?

Gordon
Gordon